Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Robert Myers

Default Please Relax was: And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> I have a friend how has, among other things, a PhD in Poly Sci. Unlike you,
> he knows better than to try to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it.
> Of course, he may have learned that while earning his PhD in Psyc, but I
> suspect that it's simply because, deep down, he's a gentleman. I'm not
> saying that you aren't, because I don't know anything about you other than
> what I've seen on this mailing list, but I will say that I've not seen any
> evidence that you are.

I could have saved you an awful lot of trouble. I'm not a gentleman,
I have no aim to be, and I try not to spend too much time around
people who think that what you would learn in a poly sci department is
a good thing. People who major in Poly Sci want to become President
so they can send other people to be shot at or perhaps to order drones
into the air to blow lots of things to pieces.

Now, should I have the itch to build a drone, I probably have the
technical wherewithal if not the money to build one that would
actually fly. Do you, or have you and your friends been so busy
studying the details of manipulating others that you don't actually
know how to do anything?

Robert Myers

Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Joe Zeff

I could have saved you an awful lot of trouble. I'm not a gentleman,
I have no aim to be, and I try not to spend too much time around
people who think that what you would learn in a poly sci department is
a good thing.

If that's true, why did you mention studying poly sci at Fraiser?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Robert Myers

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 12:54 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>>
>> I could have saved you an awful lot of trouble. I'm not a gentleman,
>> I have no aim to be, and I try not to spend too much time around
>> people who think that what you would learn in a poly sci department is
>> a good thing.
>

> If that's true, why did you mention studying poly sci at Fraiser?

I've never studied poly sci at Simon Fraser or anywhere else, nor have
I ever said that I have. I have a Facebook friend who was at Simon
Fraser for a while, but that's all I've ever had to do with the
institution. I think this thread has turned into a video game for you
and you are multi-tasking it the way most people who play video games
do.

Robert Myers

Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/06/2012 01:09 PM, Robert Myers wrote:

I've never studied poly sci at Simon Fraser or anywhere else, nor have
I ever said that I have. I have a Facebook friend who was at Simon
Fraser for a while, but that's all I've ever had to do with the
institution. I think this thread has turned into a video game for you
and you are multi-tasking it the way most people who play video games
do.

It appears that Thunderbird got an attribution wrong. Richard Vickery
made that statement in a reply to you, and when I quoted it T'bird
somehow showed it as coming from you. Unlike you, I do try to be a
gentleman and when I'm wrong, I say so. Also unlike you, I try to avoid
gratuitous insults.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 15:54 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
>

> > I have a friend how has, among other things, a PhD in Poly Sci. Unlike you,
> > he knows better than to try to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it.
> > Of course, he may have learned that while earning his PhD in Psyc, but I
> > suspect that it's simply because, deep down, he's a gentleman. I'm not
> > saying that you aren't, because I don't know anything about you other than
> > what I've seen on this mailing list, but I will say that I've not seen any
> > evidence that you are.
> >

> I could have saved you an awful lot of trouble. I'm not a gentleman,
> I have no aim to be, and I try not to spend too much time around
> people who think that what you would learn in a poly sci department is
> a good thing. People who major in Poly Sci want to become President
> so they can send other people to be shot at or perhaps to order drones
> into the air to blow lots of things to pieces.
>
> Now, should I have the itch to build a drone, I probably have the
> technical wherewithal if not the money to build one that would
> actually fly. Do you, or have you and your friends been so busy
> studying the details of manipulating others that you don't actually
> know how to do anything?
>
> Robert Myers

When are we going to decide not to respond to this guy. Send him no mail

Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Robert Myers

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When are we going to decide not to respond to this guy. Send him no mail

I'm stunned. Not everyone here is either brain dead or an imperfect
attempt to pass the Turing test.

If everyone here has a compulsive need to have the last word, we're
going to be here for a very long time.

Robert Myers

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Robert Myers

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> It appears that Thunderbird got an attribution wrong. Richard Vickery made
> that statement in a reply to you, and when I quoted it T'bird somehow showed
> it as coming from you. Unlike you, I do try to be a gentleman and when I'm
> wrong, I say so. Also unlike you, I try to avoid gratuitous insults.

When you are a part of a group of people that has decided to
marginalize or to gang up on someone, and you are an active
contributor, Joe, you are in no position to talk about manners.
Perhaps we should start with set theory and Peano arithmetic so as to
establish the most primitive form of agreed upon logical
communication, and we can go for there.

If you wanted a bar brawl, that's what you got. You seem to think
that being part of a rock-throwing crowd should eventually result in
something other than what this list has gotten itself. I've never
seen that happen, so I just happily play along until the crowd runs
out of rocks or gets bored with the game. I know what's going on
here. Do you?

Robert Myers

Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Joe Zeff

On 07/06/2012 01:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:

When you are a part of a group of people that has decided to
marginalize or to gang up on someone, and you are an active
contributor, Joe, you are in no position to talk about manners.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I'm "ganging up on you." The
one time I wrote something uncomplimentary about you, I was mistaking
you for somebody else, and when you pointed it out, I checked back and
corrected myself. I've been trying to stay as neutral as possible in
this discussion because I don't want to be responsible for it turning
into a flame war. And, as I still don't want this discussion to
degenerate any further than it already has, I shall stop right here and
make no further comments on your post.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Robert Myers

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 01:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
>>
>> When you are a part of a group of people that has decided to
>> marginalize or to gang up on someone, and you are an active
>> contributor, Joe, you are in no position to talk about manners.
>

> I have no idea where you got the idea that I'm "ganging up on you." The one
> time I wrote something uncomplimentary about you, I was mistaking you for
> somebody else, and when you pointed it out, I checked back and corrected
> myself. I've been trying to stay as neutral as possible in this discussion
> because I don't want to be responsible for it turning into a flame war.

I have continued this discussion only as a matter of principle (and
there has been some actual content). The vast majority of the world
that thinks of itself as well-mannered will happily join a lynch mob.
One of these days I will get it through my thick head that that's just
the way the world is, and that even intelligent people will never
grasp the irony inherent in their own words and behavior. It's not
what this list is about, anyway, but it's actually far more important
than arbitrary decisions about software. I'm sorry if I misunderstood
your intent. When someone is standing in the middle of a mob being
peppered with advice, criticism, and suggestions, everything begins to
seem like an attack.

Robert Myers.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Antonio Olivares

> When are we going to decide not to respond to this guy. Send
> him no mail
> go away.
> --

Can we really decide?

I beg to differ. I for one see that some folks are angry about his postings. He has the right to post/complain/rant/.../etc. Or am I mistaken?
Are we under a new law? a new world government where people cannot speak their minds?

<OT>
I am sure that there are other things that would cause more trouble, take ObamaCare for instance. SCOTUS ruled that it was constitutional and allowed under the Taxing power of the US congress. Can we repeal it? and make it go away? It will tax the hell out of working people(even worse than the legend of Robin Hood), so others who do nothing get to have free Health care.
</OT>

Eventually this thread will die off, but I wish I could say the same of ObamaCare. Fedora will live on unless it is part of the 2012 Apocalypse and all servers will stop hosting and yum updates on Dec 21, 2012?

My $0.02 because I have run out of ``Hope and Change' as Mr. Obama promised in 2008

Regards,

Antonio