Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 AM
JD

Default Problem with mounting usb flash drives

Fc16 - latest updates
Desktop: XFCE4

When I insert a flash stick in a usb slot,
it appears on the desktop - but it does not
get auto-mounted as it used to in gnome2.
So, I right-click it's icon and wait 10 years
for the desktop to respond with what I need
to do, and I select to mount it.

So far,so good.

I then insert a compact flash into a usb card-reader
dongle (because the internal one never worked from
day one when I bought the laptop).
Immediately, the first usb flash is removed from
it's mount point. The new icon of the flash in the usb dongle
apears on the desktop (in the spot where the first
usb stick was) and again I right-click, wait for 10 years
and I select to mount it.
in /dev, where there was /dev/sdd and /dev/sdd1, now
appears (in addition to sda*, sdb* and sdc*), sdd, sde, sde1.
sdd1 (which was mounted as the first flash drive) is gone.

So, now it is evident I can only have one usb flash
drive in the system at a time.

Is this a problem with desktop, the kernel, or the udevd?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 06.07.2012, JD wrote:

> Is this a problem with desktop, the kernel, or the udevd?

Maybe, it's a problem with none of them. I have one machine with
F16/XFCE and one with F17/awesome (which has XFCE as a "backup" DE),
and both machines work flawlessly regarding your scenario. I can have
as many flashcards/cardreaders as I like, and all of the cards mount
quickly.

Btw: Applications -> Settings -> Removable drives and media let you
choose to have your removable drives automounted..

Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 06.07.2012 06:07, JD wrote:

> Is this a problem with desktop, the kernel, or the udevd?

What tells you dmesg after inserting that flash card?

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Alan Cox

> Is this a problem with desktop, the kernel, or the udevd?

Maybe, maybe not. You don't include enough information even speculate

After the second mount look in dmesg, see if there are any USB errors

Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 AM
JD

[...]

When I plug in the card reader usb dongle (without the compact flash
inserted), I get these messages in /var/log/messages.
Last 2 messages are the error messages. It says it registers a storage,
and calls it sdd,

but the all-in-one card reader usb dongle has no flash memories inserted.

usb 2-2.3: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ohci_hcd
usb 2-2.3: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb 2-2.3: New USB device found, idVendor=058f, idProduct=6366
usb 2-2.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2.3: Product: Mass Storage Device
usb 2-2.3: Manufacturer: Generic
usb 2-2.3: SerialNumber: 058F0O1111B
localhost mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 5:
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/usb2/2-2/2-2.3"

localhost mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 5 was not an MTP device
localhost kernel: [ 348.537092] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
localhost kernel: [ 348.537362] scsi4 : usb-storage 2-2.3:1.0
localhost kernel: [ 348.539565] usbcore: registered new interface
driver usb-storage

localhost kernel: [ 348.539573] USB Mass Storage support registered.
localhost kernel: [ 349.548631] scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access Multi
Flash Reader 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
localhost kernel: [ 349.555566] sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4
type 0
localhost kernel: [ 349.578617] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI
removable disk
localhost dbus-daemon[981]: dbus[981]: [system] Activating via systemd:
service name='org.bluez' unit='dbus-org.bluez.service'
localhost dbus[981]: [system] Activating via systemd: service
name='org.bluez' unit='dbus-org.bluez.service'
localhost dbus-daemon[981]: dbus[981]: [system] Activation via systemd
failed for unit 'dbus-org.bluez.service': Unit org.bluez.service failed
to load: Invalid argument. See system logs and 'systemctl status
org.bluez.service' for details.
localhost dbus[981]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit