Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default gnote data imported to cherrytree

Since at least F16 Fedora has included a progrwam for taking notes
called cherrytree seemingly a substitute for gnote or Tomboy.

Now when you choose the import option one of the sub-options is to
import daqta from tomboy. Now tomboy does not exist since it was
succeeded by gnote. My impression is that tomboy and gnote used the same
dat structures but I can't get cherrytree to import my gnotw data.
Is cherrytree the future. If so does anyone know how the gnote data can
be imported into cherrytree?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 07/06/2012 01:51 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Since at least F16 Fedora has included a progrwam for taking notes
> called cherrytree seemingly a substitute for gnote or Tomboy.
>
> Now when you choose the import option one of the sub-options is to
> import daqta from tomboy. Now tomboy does not exist since it was
> succeeded by gnote. My impression is that tomboy and gnote used the same
> dat structures but I can't get cherrytree to import my gnotw data.
> Is cherrytree the future. If so does anyone know how the gnote data can
> be imported into cherrytree?

Tomboy stores its notes in .local/share/tomboy according to
https://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Directories. gnote stores its notes in
.local/share/gnote. Perhaps you can create the tomboy directory and
copy from latter to former and see if cherrytree picks that up.

Rahul

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

> On 07/06/2012 01:51 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Since at least F16 Fedora has included a progrwam for taking notes
> > called cherrytree seemingly a substitute for gnote or Tomboy.
> >
> > Now when you choose the import option one of the sub-options is to
> > import daqta from tomboy. Now tomboy does not exist since it was
> > succeeded by gnote. My impression is that tomboy and gnote used the same
> > dat structures but I can't get cherrytree to import my gnotw data.
> > Is cherrytree the future. If so does anyone know how the gnote data can
> > be imported into cherrytree?
>
> Tomboy stores its notes in .local/share/tomboy according to
> https://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Directories. gnote stores its notes in
> .local/share/gnote. Perhaps you can create the tomboy directory and
> copy from latter to former and see if cherrytree picks that up.
>
> Rahul

There is a slight problem with your suggestion. .local is a hidden file
so it does not appear in the file list that cherrytree displays.
I moved the gnome directory to a place I could reach but maybe what you
are saying is its name must be tomboy. Any further comments would be
appreciated along with an opinion as whether gnote is on the way ot. I
would just as soon keep using gnote if it is not going to disappear,

Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 07/06/2012 07:37 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> There is a slight problem with your suggestion. .local is a hidden file
> so it does not appear in the file list that cherrytree displays.
> I moved the gnome directory to a place I could reach but maybe what you
> are saying is its name must be tomboy. Any further comments would be
> appreciated along with an opinion as whether gnote is on the way ot. I
> would just as soon keep using gnote if it is not going to disappear,

Gnote has regular releases and is going to be around for the foreseeable
future. Having said that, if Tomboy is a option in cherrytree, it must
be importing from .local/share/tomboy. So my suggestion to create that
directory and copy notes and check, still applies.

Rahul

Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

> On 07/06/2012 01:51 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Since at least F16 Fedora has included a progrwam for taking notes
> > called cherrytree seemingly a substitute for gnote or Tomboy.
> >
> > Now when you choose the import option one of the sub-options is to
> > import daqta from tomboy. Now tomboy does not exist since it was
> > succeeded by gnote. My impression is that tomboy and gnote used the same
> > dat structures but I can't get cherrytree to import my gnotw data.
> > Is cherrytree the future. If so does anyone know how the gnote data can
> > be imported into cherrytree?
>
> Tomboy stores its notes in .local/share/tomboy according to
> https://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Directories. gnote stores its notes in
> .local/share/gnote. Perhaps you can create the tomboy directory and
> copy from latter to former and see if cherrytree picks that up.
>
> Rahul

Well I copied the gnote directory in to a tomboy directory.
However, I can't get cherrytree to display a directory (i.e. .local)
which is hidden. How would one do that?

My second attempt is to copy the tomboy directory to /tmp. Now the filwe
is available to cherrytree but clicking open has no effect,

So how can the transfer of databases be done?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Aaron Konstam

> On 07/06/2012 07:37 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>

> > There is a slight problem with your suggestion. .local is a hidden file
> > so it does not appear in the file list that cherrytree displays.
> > I moved the gnome directory to a place I could reach but maybe what you
> > are saying is its name must be tomboy. Any further comments would be
> > appreciated along with an opinion as whether gnote is on the way ot. I
> > would just as soon keep using gnote if it is not going to disappear,
>
> Gnote has regular releases and is going to be around for the foreseeable
> future. Having said that, if Tomboy is a option in cherrytree, it must
> be importing from .local/share/tomboy. So my suggestion to create that
> directory and copy notes and check, still applies.
>
> Rahul

You were right. Cherrytree seems to import from the .local/search/tomboy
file. Now I have to learn how cherrytree works. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
"Germán A. Racca"

[...]

I think you don't need to copy from one directory to the other, just
leave notes in gnote directory (~/.local/share/gnote), then select
import from tomboy, and in the open file dialog just right click and
select something like 'show hidden files' ;-)

HTH,
Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
Fedora Package Maintainer

Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 07/06/2012 08:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> You were right. Cherrytree seems to import from the .local/search/tomboy
> file. Now I have to learn how cherrytree works. Thanks.

I was curious how this works. Turns out, adding Gnote support didn't
take me more than a few minutes. So I have implemented this against the
latest upstream source and send the patches to the upstream author.
Hopefully it shows up in the next version.

Rahul

Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 11:42 -0300, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 11:30 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> Tomboy stores its notes in .local/share/tomboy according to
> >> https://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Directories. gnote stores its notes in
> >> .local/share/gnote. Perhaps you can create the tomboy directory and
> >> copy from latter to former and see if cherrytree picks that up.
> >>
> >> Rahul
> >>

> > Well I copied the gnote directory in to a tomboy directory.
> > However, I can't get cherrytree to display a directory (i.e. .local)
> > which is hidden. How would one do that?
>
> I think you don't need to copy from one directory to the other, just
> leave notes in gnote directory (~/.local/share/gnote), then select
> import from tomboy, and in the open file dialog just right click and
> select something like 'show hidden files' ;-)
>
> HTH,
> Germán.
It automaticly picks .local/share/tomboy to import if it exists.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
"Germán A. Racca"

On 07/06/2012 05:38 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

Well... but you said you don't have tomboy and want to import gnote
notes, and also you don't know how to select hidden folders... that's
why my answer...