Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Max Pyziur

Default searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar

Greetings,

I'm searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar. I know that
they can be found at Repoforge (http://repoforge.org/). However, they are
for CentOS and RHEL.

Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
useable on Fedora 17?

Much thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com> wrote:
> Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
> useable on Fedora 17?

Try rpmfusion nonfree.

--
Suvayu

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Jayson Rowe

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar. I know that
> they can be found at Repoforge (http://repoforge.org/). However, they are
> for CentOS and RHEL.
>
> Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
> useable on Fedora 17?
>
> Much thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com

Unrar is on RPM Fusion I know...
--
-jayson

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:15 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar. I know that
> they can be found at Repoforge (http://repoforge.org/). However, they are
> for CentOS and RHEL.
>
> Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
> useable on Fedora 17?
>
> Much thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com

unrar is available in rpmfusion-nonfree-updates. But no rar. Seems
either unfair or unsymmetrical.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 05.07.2012 22:30, schrieb Aaron Konstam:
> On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:15 -0400, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar. I know that
>> they can be found at Repoforge (http://repoforge.org/). However, they are
>> for CentOS and RHEL.
>>
>> Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
>> useable on Fedora 17?
>>
>> Much thanks.
>>
>> Max Pyziur
>> pyz@brama.com
>>

> unrar is available in rpmfusion-nonfree-updates. But no rar. Seems
> either unfair or unsymmetrical.

bookmark http://rpm.pbone.net/

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/17138115/dir/fedora_16/com/rar-3.9.3-4.fc16.x86_64.rpm.html
yes, it works for F17 too

CAUTION: do NOT enable atrpms repo completly
in my expierience he is overwriting fedora-packages
with partly incompatible versions because other
package-guidelines - it took me some hours
years ago to get a clean system again

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Max Pyziur

I'm searching for Fedora-compliant packages of rar and unrar. I know that
they can be found at Repoforge (http://repoforge.org/). However, they are
for CentOS and RHEL.

Are there any repos where rpm packages of rar/unrar that can be found and
useable on Fedora 17?

Much thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

unrar is available in rpmfusion-nonfree-updates. But no rar. Seems
either unfair or unsymmetrical.

Or even unusual.

Much thanks for all of the replies.

MP
pyz@brama.com

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Fernando Lozano

Hi,

It's unusual because rar and its file format are closed (maybe
patented). The vendor provides an open source unrar utility, and that's it.

There are MUCH BETTER options, like 7-zip.org (p7zip is part of Fedora
and is part of RHEL or can be added through EPEL, and is supported by
File-Roller and Nautilus). Better compression rate, speedier, all open
source. The windows GUI version is also much better than WinRAR.

So it's enough for me to have an unrar to open files in this format by
people who don't know there's better alternatives.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Frank Murphy