Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Jim

Default sda2 is corrupted

Fedora 17

the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
and it won't let me change the label back to /home

I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.

There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 05.07.2012 19:15, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17
>
> the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
> and it won't let me change the label back to /home
>
> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.
>
> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

1. What is the type of that file system?
2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?
3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 05.07.2012 19:15, schrieb Jim:
> Fedora 17
>
> the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
> and it won't let me change the label back to /home

what does "mount /dev/sda /home" say in "dmesg"`

> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck

you should not play around before
knowing what problem the drive has

if it is a physical problem google for "ddrescue"

> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

what about BACKUPS?

ff your data is important backups exists
if your data is not important it does not matter

why do people still need to learn it the hard way?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Jim

the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
and it won't let me change the label back to /home

I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.

There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

1. What is the type of that file system?

ext4

2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?

No , Gparted can not mount it either

3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?

No , only / is mounted

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Joe Wulf

One tool that I find helpful is 'cfg2html', which documents a whole bunch of stuff, including partition configuration and a few details that contribute to partition recovery.* Doesn't help after the fact, but take it as food for thought to assist with future problems.

On 07/05/2012 01:23 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 05.07.2012 19:15, Jim wrote:
>> Fedora 17
>>
>> the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
>> and it won't let me change the label back to /home
>>
>> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.
>>
>> There are some important data files* I must save off of sda2
>>

> 1. What is the type of that file system?
ext4
> 2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?
No , Gparted can not mount it either
> 3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?
No , only* / is mounted

Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 13:47 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 01:23 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> > On 05.07.2012 19:15, Jim wrote:
> >> Fedora 17
> >>
> >> the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
> >> and it won't let me change the label back to /home
> >>
> >> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck.
> >>
> >> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2
> >>

> > 1. What is the type of that file system?
> ext4
> > 2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?
> No , Gparted can not mount it either
> > 3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?
> No , only / is mounted
> >

> > Mateusz Marzantowicz

So when the system reboots you see a /dev/sda2 device, correct?

When you type "mount /dev/sda2 /somewhere" (where "somewhere" is some
existing, handy mount point) you get an error message saying that the
file system isn't recognized or can't be determined?

If you type "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /somewhere" you get an error
message, e.g., "not an ext4 filesystem?"

What I would try next is running "e2fsck -n /dev/sda2" and see what that
says. The "-n" to insure nothing is written to the disk (just in case).
Try it and post the results to the list here. The partition superblock
may be corrupted and I have no idea what e2fsck will try to do if that's
the case. It may just give up without looking at the backup superblock.

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 05.07.2012, Jim wrote:

> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

Before you start any rescueing, take a full snapshot of the partition,
e.g. "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/on_an_external_disk" or something like
that. Otherwise, your efforts to rescue the data can actually ruin it,
and without a backup, your data is irrecoverably lost.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Jim

On 07/05/2012 01:30 PM, Reindl Harald
the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
and it won't let me change the label back to /home

what does "mount /dev/sda /home" say in "dmesg"`

I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck

you should not play around before
knowing what problem the drive has

if it is a physical problem google for "ddrescue"

There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

what about BACKUPS?

ff your data is important backups exists
if your data is not important it does not matter

why do people still need to learn it the hard way?

The home partition is on sda2

# mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /home

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,

****** missing codepage or helper program, or other error

****** In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

****** dmesg | tail or so

*

*

*dmesg:

*

*927.983169] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

This computer is a friend of mine and after this I did convince him
about a backup external drive.

"why do people still need to learn it the hard way?"

Because they know better than you until they have a crash,then they listen and Blame the problem on you.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Jim

[...]

# e2fsck -n /dev/sda2
e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear? no

e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /home

/home: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Joe Wulf

Another option for you, is to check out 'runtime.org'.* Disclaimer... I do own some of their products and have had great success with them.They have a "Disk Explorer for Linux v4.26".. don't know for certain if it will examine the drive you are having problems with, but it is worth a shot.* They have a free download and it is $69.00 to purchase it.They also have a free Live CD that is bootable and has their products embeded for use.

On 07/05/2012 02:13 PM, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 13:47 -0400, Jim wrote:

>>> 1. What is the type of that file system?
>> ext4
>>> 2. Can you paste error messages related to this partition?
>> No , Gparted can not mount it either
>>> 3. What happens after system reboot? Does it mount or not?
>> No , only* / is
mounted