Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

Default sda2 is corrupted

Follow allmanpc on Twitter View Mark Allman, PMP, CSM's profile on
LinkedIn

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:30 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 02:13 PM, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> >> ext4
> >> No , Gparted can not mount it either
> >> No , only / is mounted

> > So when the system reboots you see a /dev/sda2 device, correct?
> >
> > When you type "mount /dev/sda2 /somewhere" (where "somewhere" is some
> > existing, handy mount point) you get an error message saying that the
> > file system isn't recognized or can't be determined?
> >
> > If you type "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /somewhere" you get an error
> > message, e.g., "not an ext4 filesystem?"
> >
> > What I would try next is running "e2fsck -n /dev/sda2" and see what that
> > says. The "-n" to insure nothing is written to the disk (just in case).
> > Try it and post the results to the list here. The partition superblock
> > may be corrupted and I have no idea what e2fsck will try to do if that's
> > the case. It may just give up without looking at the backup superblock.
> >
> # e2fsck -n /dev/sda2
> e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
> e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
> Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
> Clear? no
>
> e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /home
>
> /home: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

Before you do anything else I would definitely make the backup copy of
the partition as suggested earlier in another post using "dd."

At this point I defer to the disk partition wizards on the list. I have
no idea what would happen if you were to remove the "-n" switch and tell
e2fsck to clear the journal. If I read the output from e2fsck right it
looks like a backup superblock was found (which is good, I'd think).

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski

Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:43 -0400, Mark C. Allman wrote:

> Follow allmanpc on Twitter View Mark Allman, PMP, CSM's profile on
> LinkedIn
>

> On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 14:30 -0400, Jim wrote:

> > > So when the system reboots you see a /dev/sda2 device, correct?
> > >
> > > When you type "mount /dev/sda2 /somewhere" (where "somewhere" is some
> > > existing, handy mount point) you get an error message saying that the
> > > file system isn't recognized or can't be determined?
> > >
> > > If you type "mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /somewhere" you get an error
> > > message, e.g., "not an ext4 filesystem?"
> > >
> > > What I would try next is running "e2fsck -n /dev/sda2" and see what that
> > > says. The "-n" to insure nothing is written to the disk (just in case).
> > > Try it and post the results to the list here. The partition superblock
> > > may be corrupted and I have no idea what e2fsck will try to do if that's
> > > the case. It may just give up without looking at the backup superblock.
> > >
> > # e2fsck -n /dev/sda2
> > e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
> > e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
> > Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
> > Clear? no
> >
> > e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /home
> >
> > /home: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********
> >

> Before you do anything else I would definitely make the backup copy of
> the partition as suggested earlier in another post using "dd."
>
> At this point I defer to the disk partition wizards on the list. I have
> no idea what would happen if you were to remove the "-n" switch and tell
> e2fsck to clear the journal. If I read the output from e2fsck right it
> looks like a backup superblock was found (which is good, I'd think).
>
> --
> Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
> Founder, See How You Ski
> Allman Professional Consulting, Inc., www.allmanpc.com
> 617-947-4263, Twitter: @allmanpc

Whoops! Sorry about not snipping off all of the header at the top of my
last post.

-- Mark

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Jim

On 07/05/2012 01:30 PM, Reindl Harald
the sda2 /home is corruoted and it changed /home partitiion to UNKNOWN
and it won't let me change the label back to /home

what does "mount /dev/sda /home" say in "dmesg"`

I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck

you should not play around before
knowing what problem the drive has

if it is a physical problem google for "ddrescue"

There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

what about BACKUPS?

ff your data is important backups exists
if your data is not important it does not matter

why do people still need to learn it the hard way?

I run* dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1* to copy, supposely a 26gb image
to sdb1 but i do not see a image on* sdb1 .

Confused ???

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.07.2012 16:11, schrieb Jim:
> On 07/05/2012 01:30 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> I have tried to use fedora and Gparted with no luck
>> you should not play around before
>> knowing what problem the drive has
>>
>> if it is a physical problem google for "ddrescue"
>>
>>> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2
>> what about BACKUPS?
>>
>> ff your data is important backups exists
>> if your data is not important it does not matter
>>
>> why do people still need to learn it the hard way?
>>
> I run dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1 to copy, supposely a 26gb image to sdb1 but i do not see a image on sdb1 .
>
> Confused ???

no, just stupid because you do not read manuals nor know anything about
basic-commands and that is why you destroyed /dev/sdb1 if there were
data by overwrite the whole partition

/dev/sdb1 is now a blockwise copy of /dev/sd1

if you want a image you have to use "dd if=/deV7sda1 of=/path/filename.image"

Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:22:55 -0400, Jim wrote:

> >> /dev/sdb1 is now a blockwise copy of /dev/sda2

> > On 05.07.2012, Jim wrote:
> >
> >> There are some important data files I must save off of sda2
> > Before you start any rescueing, take a full snapshot of the partition,
> > e.g. "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/on_an_external_disk"
> >

> that is exactly what I did but nothing shows up on /dev/sdb1 external
> drive after dd has completed .

That makes no sense. If /dev/sdb1 points at a corrupted filesystem,
above "dd" command will copy the same corrupted filesystem to /dev/sda2.
That's expected and okay, if you only want to keep that one read-only as
a backup of the originally corrupted filesystem. Then you can play with
rescueing sdb1 - but be careful and remember that sda2 is supposed to be
your backup of a corrupted filesystem. Don't mess with that one.

Better would have been to copy sdb1 to an image file instead of another
partition device.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.24 0.55 0.70

Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Jim

/dev/sdb1 is now a blockwise copy of /dev/sda2

There are some important data files I must save off of sda2

Before you start any rescueing, take a full snapshot of the partition,
e.g. "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/on_an_external_disk"

that is exactly what I did but nothing shows up on /dev/sdb1 external
drive after dd has completed .

That makes no sense. If /dev/sdb1 points at a corrupted filesystem,
above "dd" command will copy the same corrupted filesystem to /dev/sda2.
That's expected and okay, if you only want to keep that one read-only as
a backup of the originally corrupted filesystem. Then you can play with
rescueing sdb1 - but be careful and remember that sda2 is supposed to be
your backup of a corrupted filesystem. Don't mess with that one.

Better would have been to copy sdb1 to an image file instead of another
partition device.

sda2 is the corrupted file system.
I'm trying to send a img of the sda2 to backup hard drive sdb1 .
I' running into a read-only filisystem on sda3 , but :

# mount | grep sda3

/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

it say it is rw but when i run the dd command i get a read-only filesystem.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.07.2012 18:11, schrieb Jim:

>>> that is exactly what I did but nothing shows up on /dev/sdb1 external
>>> drive after dd has completed .
>> That makes no sense. If /dev/sdb1 points at a corrupted filesystem,
>> above "dd" command will copy the same corrupted filesystem to /dev/sda2.
>> That's expected and okay, if you only want to keep that one read-only as
>> a backup of the originally corrupted filesystem. Then you can play with
>> rescueing sdb1 - but be careful and remember that sda2 is supposed to be
>> your backup of a corrupted filesystem. Don't mess with that one.
>>
>> Better would have been to copy sdb1 to an image file instead of another
>> partition device.
>>
> sda2 is the corrupted file system.
> I'm trying to send a img of the sda2 to backup hard drive sdb1

but you did sent the command to overwrite the whole partition
AND NOT a image some posts before!

> I' running into a read-only filisystem on sda3 , but :
>
> # mount | grep sda3
> /dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

what role does play sda3 in this game now?

> it say it is rw but when i run the dd command i get a read-only filesystem

what role does play sda3 mounted as rootfs for the dd-command
and why should dd write to this drive?

A LAST TIME:

provide UNCUTTED inputs and outputs if you need help
as also FULL information what are you trying to do
and not only what you think is the solution

Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Jim

[...]

mount | grep sdb1
/dev/sdb1 on /media/backup type ext4
(ro,relatime,seclabel,errors=continue,data=ordered )

now I find out that sdb1 ,external/USB hard drive is read-only, what
command would I use to make it a read-write partition.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.07.2012 18:28, schrieb Jim:
> On 07/06/2012 12:11 PM, Jim wrote:

>>> That makes no sense. If /dev/sdb1 points at a corrupted filesystem,
>>> above "dd" command will copy the same corrupted filesystem to /dev/sda2.
>>> That's expected and okay, if you only want to keep that one read-only as
>>> a backup of the originally corrupted filesystem. Then you can play with
>>> rescueing sdb1 - but be careful and remember that sda2 is supposed to be
>>> your backup of a corrupted filesystem. Don't mess with that one.
>>>
>>> Better would have been to copy sdb1 to an image file instead of another
>>> partition device.
>>>
>> sda2 is the corrupted file system.
>> I'm trying to send a img of the sda2 to backup hard drive sdb1 .
>> I' running into a read-only filisystem on sda3 , but :
>>
>> # mount | grep sda3
>>
>> /dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)
>>
>> it say it is rw but when i run the dd command i get a read-only filesystem.
>
> mount | grep sdb1
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/backup type ext4 (ro,relatime,seclabel,errors=continue,data=ordered )
>

> now I find out that sdb1 ,external/USB hard drive is read-only, what command would I use to make it a read-write
> partition.

boag this is the result of "I run dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb1 to copy, supposely
a 26gb image to sdb1 but i do not see a image on sdb1"

as i said in my first reply today

>> no, just stupid because you do not read manuals nor know anything about
>> basic-commands and that is why you destroyed /dev/sdb1 if there were
>> data by overwrite the whole partition

so you have to create a NEW fileystem on /dev/sdb1
you have overwritten it with the source-partition of you dd-command

also you did not realize why we are suggested to use dd or ddrescue
before any other attempt - because you get a BLOCKWISE image of the whole
partitionor even disk which can be backuped mutilple times to test restore
strategies

but if you are start using dd the wrong way you are pretty soon at the end
try to undersatnd what commands are supposed to do and read their manpages
CAREFULLY before use them, use google to learn about them and AFTER that
think if you are really sure to be the right person for data-restore
on a damaged disk

BUT even if you are coming to the conslusion you are the wrong one
the FIRST step to make CAREFUL a dd-image of a appearently dying
FS/disk is the right way becasue if the disk is dead whoever can continue
try to restore data from this image