Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Frode Petersen

Default F17 gnome-terminal crashes

I was about to report a bug towards terminal, as several other people
have, but after trying to start terminal as a fresh test user without
problems, I'm uncertain about this being a bug in terminal or not.

Problem: gnome terminal crashes every time I try to start it, with abrt
reporting it killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT).

The install is about a fortnight old, so it's odd that such a vital part
should fail so soon.

Could anyone please help me decide if this is a bug to be filed against
gnome-terminal, or otherwise help me find out what has happened to the
'chain' that starts the program?

Thanks in advance!

Frode Petersen

Here is what I wrote before changing my mind:

---------
1. Click on the gnome-terminal icon
2. Wait for the terminal window to open. The left hand side of the panel
indicates that terminal is starting
3. Nothing happens and the gnome-terminal starting indication on the
panel disappears.

(4. Abrt shows the crash info)

Going through the crash report I found these oddities:

In /var/log/messages (through abrt):
Jul 3 01:42:15 fprdl dbus-daemon[896]: (packagekitd:10797):
PkPlugin-WARNING **: could not load desktop file
/usr/share/xfce4/helpers/gnome-terminal.desktop

Jul 5 12:42:28 fprdl abrt[8434]: Sav...

---- I don't understand why a xfce4 file is involved in starting
gnome-terminal on gnome3. The file comes from the package
exo-0.6.2-4.fc17.x86_64, and exists:

$ ls -alF /usr/share/xfce4/helpers/gnome-terminal.desktop
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1599 jan. 13 13:10
/usr/share/xfce4/helpers/gnome-terminal.desktop

I have not installed xfce, only thunar, which probably brought the file in.

Starting gnome-terminal from konsole in gnome3 gives this result:
$ gnome-terminal
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS error:
GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.

**
ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
(app->default_profile_id != NULL)

Aborted (core dumped)
$

[The D-BUS error translates (approximately?) to "The GConf-server is
about to shut down")

Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Olav Vitters

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:03:08PM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> I was about to report a bug towards terminal, as several other
> people have, but after trying to start terminal as a fresh test user
> without problems, I'm uncertain about this being a bug in terminal
> or not.
[..]
> $ gnome-terminal
> GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS
> error: GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
[..]
> ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
> (app->default_profile_id != NULL)
> Aborted (core dumped)
[..]
> [The D-BUS error translates (approximately?) to "The GConf-server
> is about to shut down")

In GNOME 3.4 gnome-terminal uses gconf to store its settings. In this
version (forgot since when), gconf uses d-bus somehow. As either d-bus
or gconf are not working, gnome-terminal is getting some data it is not
expecting.

Fix the gconf/d-bus issue and gnome-terminal should work. Not sure if
gnome-terminal is supposed to still work even if there is something
wrong with gconf.

For 3.6, the plan is to switch to gsettings (dconf). With gsettings, it
will 100% rely on gsettings to not feed it bad data (gsettings will
check this).

Olav

Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:35:55 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 04:03:08PM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> > I was about to report a bug towards terminal, as several other
> > people have, but after trying to start terminal as a fresh test user
> > without problems, I'm uncertain about this being a bug in terminal
> > or not.
> [..]
> > $ gnome-terminal
> > GConf Error: Configuration server couldn't be contacted: D-BUS
> > error: GConf-tjeneren er i ferd med stenge ned.
> [..]
> > ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed:
> > (app->default_profile_id != NULL)
> > Aborted (core dumped)
> [..]
> > [The D-BUS error translates (approximately?) to "The GConf-server
> > is about to shut down")
>
> In GNOME 3.4 gnome-terminal uses gconf to store its settings. In this
> version (forgot since when), gconf uses d-bus somehow. As either d-bus
> or gconf are not working, gnome-terminal is getting some data it is not
> expecting.
>
> Fix the gconf/d-bus issue and gnome-terminal should work. Not sure if
> gnome-terminal is supposed to still work even if there is something
> wrong with gconf.
>
> For 3.6, the plan is to switch to gsettings (dconf). With gsettings, it
> will 100% rely on gsettings to not feed it bad data (gsettings will
> check this).

This affects other GConf based apps, too.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/756245
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
D-BUS error: The GConf daemon is currently shutting down.

Typically, the apps really just try to get/set some gconf value and
that fails (Python gconf based apps crash with GError, for instance).
They would need to try harder, sleep some time, then try again, but
that wouldn't help either if gconf daemon has crashed. Some users
report that they restart the daemon to make apps work again.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.62 0.61 0.38