Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Michael Schwendt

Default USER SHOULD BE UNSUBSCRIBED

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 18:03:04 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 07/04/2012 05:51 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > No harm, but increased risk that the list owner(s) will be flooded with such
> > requests unnecessarily by lazy people who could unsubscribe themselves.
>
> I am pretty sure that my mentioning it isn't going to cause a flood of workload for
> anyone. Besides their email address is already known.
>
> I wouldn't characterize people as lazy who have problems with computer systems. If I
> did, I'd have to call my parents lazy. :-)
>
> This is a one-off situation that hardly ever comes up on this list.

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps the list owners can tell whether something like
that has happened before. I don't refer to general "problems with computer
systems", just to the unsubscribing process which involves a bit of
reading the list's web page, which may be too big of a hurdle already.
(I don't expect any subscriber to know about the email-based auto-reply
addresses that can be used to "talk to" the list management software, too.)

The subscription options on the web page are hidden at the bottom. One
must read the page slowly and carefully and not be impatient. When the
footer attached to all messages posted to the list did not mention the
word "unsubscribe", from time to time some users asked (and complained loudly),
about how to unsubscribe. Not mentioning what they've tried to unsubscribe.
Which, to me, is another indication of laziness. There's a connection
between laziness, impatience and upper-case yelling, too.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.61 0.36 0.38