Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Fernando Cassia

Default Is Gnome becoming a Microsoft project?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMjM

I'd rather see more Gnome projects using OpenJDK and
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/ rather than the .Net clone Mono.

FC

Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Michael Leung

me too. I tried to use mono before, I think Java is more suitable in Linux.

http://www.itblogs.info - My IT Bloghttp://diary.skynovel.info - My Blog

http://www.michaelleung.info - My Homepage

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Richard Hughes

On 4 July 2012 04:28, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMjM

Protip: Don't use phoronix as a reliable news source.

Richard.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 04.07.2012 05:28, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMjM
>
> I'd rather see more Gnome projects using OpenJDK and
> http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/ rather than the .Net clone Mono.
>
> FC

Java? This fat and ugly pig? Must be a joke. Gnome should focus on C/C++
with Vala and Python as supporting languages.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Ian Malone

On 4 July 2012 08:17, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 July 2012 04:28, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMjM
>
> Protip: Don't use phoronix as a reliable news source.

i.e. more realistically:
https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/GNOMEandMonoFestivalofLove2012
Hackfest to improve Mono-based applications. The horror!

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Tom Horsley

Somehow this seems relevant once again:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/game/gnome3-rant.html

But the theory in there is that folks like M$ are
secretly sabotaging open source. Looks like they are
right out in the open now :-).

Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

But the theory in there is that folks like M$ are
secretly sabotaging open source. Looks like they are
right out in the open now:-).

"Close" it? :-P

--
RMA.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Andrew Haley

On 07/04/2012 04:48 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 04.07.2012 05:28, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEzMjM
>>
>> I'd rather see more Gnome projects using OpenJDK and
>> http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/ rather than the .Net clone Mono.
>
> Java? This fat and ugly pig? Must be a joke. Gnome should focus on C/C++
> with Vala and Python as supporting languages.

Woo hoo! Language flame wars! Let's go!

Andrew.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
<mmarzantowicz@osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> Java? This fat and ugly pig? Must be a joke. Gnome should focus on C/C++
> with Vala and Python as supporting languages.

Yeah, such a fat and ugly pig that great software like VOIP app Jitsi
(www.jitsi.org) uses it, Vuze P2P uses it, Jdownloader uses it, like
Art of Illusion 3D renderer and Sweet Home 3D uses it
http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp

With OpenJDK7 being GPL and ubiquitous on Linux distros, it's hard to
make a case for NOT using it, specially when non-Java languages can
use it (Jython, JRuby, xRuby, NetRexx, Jabaco...).

If you speak out of ignorance and prejudice, it can also be said that
C/C++ brought us pigs like KDE 4.x which can use up to 500 MB of ram.

Some examples of great Java based cross platform apps:

Jitsi VOIP - messaging - videoconference
http://www.jitsi.org
Art of Illusion 3D renderer
http://aoi.sourceforge.net/
Bloom (pic uploader to Farcebook)
http://antaki.ca/bloom/
Vuze BitTorrent P2P
http://www.vuze.com
JDownloader
http://www.jdownloader.org/
JDiskReport
http://ho.io/jdiskreport
muCommander file manager / SSH file copy
http://ho.io/mu-commander
JEdit programmers' editor
http://www.jedit.org/
NetBeans IDE
http://www.netbeans.org
OmegaT, translation tool
http://www.omegat.org/en/download_selector/lin_nojre.php
Earth3D
http://venus.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~gunia/webstart/earth3d_dev.jnlp
(earth3d.org)
Freemind Mind Mapping software
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Frinika - GPL music sequencer
http://frinika.appspot.com/
JShot screenshot tool - uploading
http://jshot.info/jshot/webstart/jshot.jnlp
PowerFolder (cloud storage)
http://download.powerfolder.com/pro/webstart/PowerFolder.jnlp
PetrusBlogger (multi-blog client)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/News-Newsgroups-Blog-Tools/Petrus-Blogger.shtml
DVB demux tool
http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x/
UpTheSync - cloud file syncing
http://upthesync.sourceforge.net/
Burp - Web security testing
http://portswigger.net/burp/
jHome - Home Automation
http://www.eletronlivre.com.br/jhome/

...And these are the ones just off the top off my head

Lots of " stupid " programmers writing cross-platform big fat ugly
Java code, it seems!. ;-P

FC

Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> Woo hoo! Language flame wars! Let's go!

That's exactly the problem... thinking Java is only a programming
language. Java is more than a programming language, it's actually
three things:

1. A programming Language
2. A runtime VM
3. A cross-platform software ecosystem.

Actually, you can write java apps without knowing or touching the Java
programming language, as exemplified by xRuby, Jython, NetRexx
(www.netrexx.org), and Jabaco (www.jabaco.org) just to name a few
examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/mlvm/jvmlangsummit/
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell