Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Is Gnome becoming a Microsoft project?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Chris Tyler <chris@tylers.info> wrote:
> This is why I'm hoping a lot of devs get a Raspberry Pi (256MB split
> with the GPU, 700MHz) and run their own code on it :-)

If there were an x86 or amd64 equivalent then I would agree. Being
ARM, I don't see this happening.

Even disregarding recompiling (and rewriting in a cross-platform way)
C++ code, is there even a JVM or Mono interpreter for ARM?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 21 July 2012 10:51, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even disregarding recompiling (and rewriting in a cross-platform way)
> C++ code, is there even a JVM or Mono interpreter for ARM?

Unless Debian is lying to me:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apt-cache search openjdk
default-jdk - Standard Java or Java compatible Development Kit
default-jre - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime
default-jre-headless - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
icedtea-6-jre-cacao - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Cacao
icedtea-6-plugin - web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to
execute Java applets
icedtea-7-plugin - web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to
execute Java applets
jtreg - Regression Test Harness for the OpenJDK platform
openjdk-6-dbg - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (debugging symbols)
openjdk-6-demo - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (demos and examples)
openjdk-6-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
openjdk-6-jdk - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK)
openjdk-6-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot Zero
openjdk-6-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot Zero (headless)
openjdk-6-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
openjdk-6-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
openjdk-7-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
openjdk-7-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
openjdk-7-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
uwsgi-app-integration-plugins - plugins for integration of uWSGI and application
uwsgi-plugin-jvm-openjdk-6 - Java plugin for uWSGI (OpenJDK 6)
uwsgi-plugin-jwsgi-openjdk-6 - JWSGI plugin for uWSGI (OpenJDK 6)

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ arch
armv6l

Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 21 July 2012 11:16, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 21 July 2012 10:51, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even disregarding recompiling (and rewriting in a cross-platform way)
>> C++ code, is there even a JVM or Mono interpreter for ARM?
I need to buy a faster microSD. Saving a couple of quids by bying a
cat 4 card was a mistake. It took forever to unpack the files.
And here's the proof, this is a small util I wrote which reads ADIF
2.x files and inserts them into a DB so that I can run reports on them
in a meaningful manner.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ java -cp pskjdb.jar com.hakankoseoglu.pskdb.PskDB
Syntax: java PskDB [options]
-file name : File to parse and merge to the database
-user user : Database username
-password password : Database password
-dbname sub-name : JDBC URL string to the database
Sample DBName: @localhost:1521:log
Optional parameters
-debug : Turn the debugging mode on
-protocol : JDBC protocol (default is oracle:thin)
-perf : Disable timings
-driver : JDBC driver (default is oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)

Sample command:
java -cp tools.jarjdbc14.jar com.hakankoseoglu.PskDB -user
loguser -password logpasswd -dbname @//localhost/1521:log

Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Veeti Paananen
<veeti.paananen@rojekti.fi> wrote:
> That may sound incredibly pedantic and petty to complain about, but
> these sort of seemingly small inconsistencies and problems pile up to
> build a really visually displeasing UI. And that's not all: they can
> also pose real usability issues.
>
> A good example of this is the file tree in IntelliJ IDEA, a Java IDE
> that I have the pleasure of using on a daily basis. Whenever I
> right-click a file for more options, the underlying filename doesn't get
> highlighted with a blue background like you would expect it to: this
> always leaves me wondering if I selected the right item or not.

You are right, it sounds a bit like nitpicking. But be positive: How
about filing a bug report?. You know Java is open source and GPL since
late 2006. With OpenJDK 7 being the Java 7 reference implementation,
many if not all bugfixes end up both on the freeware JRE/JDK and
OpenJDK as well.

I´m telling you this because one issue that you mention (file
requesters) is finally fixed in OpenJDK 7, as mentioned here:

gtkjfilechooser
A prettier JFileChooser for Swing's GTK look and feel
http://code.google.com/p/gtkjfilechooser/

"I solved the problem contributing to the JDK 7: The
java.awt.FileDialog uses now native GTK file chooser on linux distros
"

...so hopefully things can only improve moving forward...

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even disregarding recompiling (and rewriting in a cross-platform way)
> C++ code, is there even a JVM or Mono interpreter for ARM?

Well duh!! GPL Java (OpenJDK) is available for ARM.

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk6-dev/2009-April/000455.html

----
"OpenJDK6 have been known to compile and run on embedded ARM systems
since the summer 2008.

Binaryies are currently shipping with the Debian/Linux ARM "armel"
distribution, the Ubuntu "armel" ARM distribution and various embedded
Linux distributions based on the openembedded infrastructure."
---

OpenJDK on Meego/N9/N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenJDK_6.0_0_%28Cambridge_Software_Labs%29_on_N90 0

Hardware accelerated video on OpenJDK/ARM
http://labb.zafena.se/?p=514

I'm testing a TI Pandaboard with Fedora/17 arm and there's OpenJDK too
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=219334

So, yes, reports about Java's alleged irrelevance have been greatly
exaggerated

FC

Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 21 July 2012 10:51, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Even disregarding recompiling (and rewriting in a cross-platform way)
>> C++ code, is there even a JVM or Mono interpreter for ARM?
>
> Unless Debian is lying to me:
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apt-cache search openjdk
> default-jdk - Standard Java or Java compatible Development Kit
> default-jre - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime
> default-jre-headless - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
> icedtea-6-jre-cacao - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Cacao
> icedtea-6-plugin - web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to
> execute Java applets
> icedtea-7-plugin - web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to
> execute Java applets
> jtreg - Regression Test Harness for the OpenJDK platform
> openjdk-6-dbg - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (debugging symbols)
> openjdk-6-demo - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (demos and examples)
> openjdk-6-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
> openjdk-6-jdk - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK)
> openjdk-6-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot Zero
> openjdk-6-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot Zero (headless)
> openjdk-6-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
> openjdk-6-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
> openjdk-7-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
> openjdk-7-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
> openjdk-7-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
> uwsgi-app-integration-plugins - plugins for integration of uWSGI and application
> uwsgi-plugin-jvm-openjdk-6 - Java plugin for uWSGI (OpenJDK 6)
> uwsgi-plugin-jwsgi-openjdk-6 - JWSGI plugin for uWSGI (OpenJDK 6)
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ arch
> armv6l

Very cool, thanks. You shouldn't have let me see that prompt, now I'm
just itching to get my hands on one! It looks like there is a nice
competitor too:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/07/20/2358228/gooseberry-launches-android-based-raspberry-pi-rival

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very cool, thanks. You shouldn't have let me see that prompt, now I'm
> just itching to get my hands on one! It looks like there is a nice
> competitor too:
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/07/20/2358228/gooseberry-launches-android-based-raspberry-pi-rival

There's a nice embedded "pluggable" platform that run Linux and OpenJDK too.

http://www.buglabs.net/products

///
BUG 2.0
Redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up
The slimmer and sleeker BUG 2.0 has a simpler, more intuitive
interface and a beautiful color scheme to match. Under the hood,
you'll experience improved computing performance, extended battery
life, and 720p HD video thanks to a new BUGvideo module and dedicated
24-bit parallel video slot. Additionally, you'll benefit from the
widely-used, widely-supported Angstrom Linux OS and OpenJDK JVM that
come standard.
///

Not sure about the price...