Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Robert Myers

Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Bill Shirley
<bshirley@memphis.apirx.biz> wrote:
> "As for the bullies here who think of themselves as the Internet police but
> who in reality are no better than a street gang, make the world a better
> place and find a competent therapist
> Robert Myers."
>
> You sir, crave attention. You've had your little flame war and it has died
> down. Now you're stirring the embers.
>
> Please move on.

Another self-appointed Internet cop. The North End here is pretty
safe because a very effective private group doesn't want outsiders
engaged in unsanctioned violence. Sanctioned violence, of your sort,
is de rigeur.

As to attention, I can get all the attention I want, believe me. My
weak spot is that self-righteousness like yours hits an on switch in
me for which there is no off switch. You're just going to have to
find your own off switch.

Robert Myers.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

I can't believe the lot of you are still keeping this up.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Bill Shirley

<bshirley@memphis.apirx.biz> wrote:

> "As for the bullies here who think of themselves as the Internet police but

> who in reality are no better than a street gang, make the world a better

> place and find a competent therapist

> Robert Myers."

> You sir, crave attention. *You've had your little flame war and it has died

> down. *Now you're stirring the embers.

> Please move on.

Another self-appointed Internet cop. *The North End here is pretty

safe because a very effective private group doesn't want outsiders

engaged in unsanctioned violence. *Sanctioned violence, of your sort,

is de rigeur.

As to attention, I can get all the attention I want, believe me. *My

weak spot is that self-righteousness like yours hits an on switch in

me for which there is no off switch. *You're just going to have to

find your own off switch.

Robert Myers.

Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Kelly Miller

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:

There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and

Fedora with regard to virtualization.

With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less

transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the

rest of your life on forums like this one. *You don't really want me

here forever, do you?

The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if

you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the

people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use

Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them. *Red Hat (along

with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at

such users. *It doesn't want them.

Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very popular

webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can also find

people who use it and talk about how to use it. *If there are such

users in the Fedora community, I have so far not encountered them.

Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to maximize shareholder

value. *A few loyal diehards hung on. *This loyal diehard can no

longer afford to.

Robert Myers.

*So your REAL issue is that Fedora doesn't include a proprietary program in either its default install or repository by default, and you feel that having to look farther than Software Installer is a waste of time?* How could you possibly survive Windows then?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.07.2012 03:08, schrieb Robert Myers:
> Not only can't you spell, but apparently you can't read. Either that,
> or you have no regard for accuracy when making claims as to what
> others have said. I have never said that you can't run Flash on
> Fedora. Historically, though, just as with NetBIOS, it has been a
> pain of the kind that is apparently heaven for some kinds of computer
> weenies. It isn't for me. On Ubuntu, NetBIOS and Flash run right out
> of the box, which they never have for me on Fedora.

so just use ubuntu and be happy

needing Flash out-of-the-box is a meaningless argument because
if you are not willing to learn how to add a yum repo and type
with one command and install flash with a second one you
have really bigger problems

did you also complainto microsoft that flash
was not installed out-of-the-box? no? why?

NetBIOS is this the UDP crap of samba which i am blocking
since more then 10 years on each windows/Linux/apple machine?

usually you have only few samba-servers and instead this crappy
NetBIOS smb://ip-addr/ or ip-addr is wokring everytime and
everywhere - why in the world should i want to boradcast running
services in the whole network?

people who are using the server are knowing where they are and
all other people do even not know that they exists

nobody said fedora or linux at all is teh right OS for you
sol why do you think it must be bascially designed for you?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Andrew Haley

On 07/04/2012 08:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>>> should work just fine.
>>
>> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
>> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>>
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one. You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?
>
> The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
> you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
> people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
> Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them. Red Hat (along
> with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
> such users. It doesn't want them.

Surely this is more to do with Fedora being a free software
distribution. Sure, we could relax that rule and allow unfree
software in the distribution, but if we did Fedora would then be a
different thing. If what you want is really a mixed free/unfree
distribution, we can't help you.

> Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very
> popular webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can
> also find people who use it and talk about how to use it. If there
> are such users in the Fedora community, I have so far not
> encountered them. Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to
> maximize shareholder value. A few loyal diehards hung on. This
> loyal diehard can no longer afford to.

Clearly you've been letting the anger and frustration build for a long
time, and it all comes out at once. But is there anything from a
practical point of view that you think we can do, short of
distributing unfree software?

Andrew.