FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Robert Myers
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Ed Gurski <ed@gurski.com> wrote:



I too am an older person, retired for 5 years and have been using Fedora

from it's inception. I have several boxes running Fedora, one even

running VMWare Workstation with Windows 7 as a guest, without problems!

I'm glad it works for you. *It is unlikely it would work for me, and that's why I have focused on dom0 support. *VMWare Player under Windows actually does rather poorly over peripherals that are actually controlled by the host OS (in my case, it has been Windows) and that require real-time responsiveness. *Examples would be cameras and sound cards, which, in my case, also coordinate with Flash. *That means that I have to use those things for certain applications in the host OS, not a guest OS. *I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware should work just fine.


Since you are an older person, like me, you have less time to put up with things you don't like, such as people who make posts that you find to be disagreeable. *You also have less time to do most anything else, so it might be a good idea to spend it on enterprises with a possible positive outcome. *Trying to influence me as you have would not be on such a list.

Robert Myers.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
> should work just fine.

I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.

FC
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Robert Myers
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>> should work just fine.
>
> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>
There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
Fedora with regard to virtualization.

With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
rest of your life on forums like this one. You don't really want me
here forever, do you?

The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them. Red Hat (along
with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
such users. It doesn't want them.

Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very popular
webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can also find
people who use it and talk about how to use it. If there are such
users in the Fedora community, I have so far not encountered them.
Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to maximize shareholder
value. A few loyal diehards hung on. This loyal diehard can no
longer afford to.

Robert Myers.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
David
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On 7/4/2012 3:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>>> should work just fine.
>>
>> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
>> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>>
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one. You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?
>
> The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
> you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
> people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
> Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them. Red Hat (along
> with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
> such users. It doesn't want them.
>
> Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very popular
> webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can also find
> people who use it and talk about how to use it. If there are such
> users in the Fedora community, I have so far not encountered them.
> Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to maximize shareholder
> value. A few loyal diehards hung on. This loyal diehard can no
> longer afford to.


So you're leaving Fedora for Ubuntu? Well then. What's keeping from
leaving? Not finished trolling yet?

Plonk.

--

David
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On 07/04/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Myers wrote:

Thus, if I need to find the*exact* Ubuntu driver for the very popular
webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can also find
people who use it and talk about how to use it. If there are such
users in the Fedora community, I have so far not encountered them.


Have you checked the hardware forum over at fedoraforum.org? It's a
whole different community, with (AFAICT) very little crossover. You
might have better luck there. Remember, this mailing list isn't the
only place to get support help with Fedora.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Ian Malone
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On 4 July 2012 17:05, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Ed Gurski <ed@gurski.com> wrote:
>>
>>

> Since you are an older person, like me, you have less time to put up with
> things you don't like, such as people who make posts that you find to be
> disagreeable. You also have less time to do most anything else, so it might
> be a good idea to spend it on enterprises with a possible positive outcome.
> Trying to influence me as you have would not be on such a list.
>

I can't help but observe you're still here.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Ian Malone
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On 4 July 2012 20:43, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
>>> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
>>> should work just fine.
>>
>> I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
>> Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
>>
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one. You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?
>

This is being pessimistic about life expectancy: Adobe are phasing out
flash. No, it wont be tomorrow.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 15:43 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am anticipating that I will be able to do that in Ubuntu but not in
> >> Fedora, and conversations in Ubuntu forums indicates that my exact hardware
> >> should work just fine.
> >
> > I fail to grasp what would be so fundamentally different between
> > Ubuntu and Fedora with regards to virtualization and flash support.
> >
> There is no fundamental difference that I know of between Ubuntu and
> Fedora with regard to virtualization.
>
> With regard to flash support, Ubuntu supports it more or less
> transparently and, if you want to use it on Fedora, you can spend the
> rest of your life on forums like this one. You don't really want me
> here forever, do you?
>
> The difference between Fedora and Ubuntu that really matters, and if
> you don't want to hear it, just stop reading my posts, is that the
> people who use Ubuntu are generally more like the people who use
> Windows and Canonical knows it and caters to them. Red Hat (along
> with Fedora and its manifestly snotty community) turns up its nose at
> such users. It doesn't want them.
>
> Thus, if I need to find the *exact* Ubuntu driver for the very popular
> webcam I actually use, not only can I find it, but I can also find
> people who use it and talk about how to use it. If there are such
> users in the Fedora community, I have so far not encountered them.
> Red Hat threw its amateur users overboard to maximize shareholder
> value. A few loyal diehards hung on. This loyal diehard can no
> longer afford to.
>
> Robert Myers.

Why do you stick to ridiculous over-generalizations. As people have said
several times if you like Ubuntu so much switch to it and don't post to
the Fedora users list.
--
================================================== =====================
There Is No Cabal.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Robert Myers
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
> Why do you stick to ridiculous over-generalizations. As people have said
> several times if you like Ubuntu so much switch to it and don't post to
> the Fedora users list.
> --

And why do you make posts that are nothing but an insult? The
"ridiculous" overgeneralizations are widely-shared beliefs, whether
they fit your criteria for being true or even sensible or not. How
old are you? Twelve?

Robert Myers.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Lee
 
Default And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On Jul 4, 2012 1:47 PM, "Robert Myers" <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>

> >

> > Why do you stick to ridiculous over-generalizations. As people have said

> > several times if you like Ubuntu so much switch to it and don't post to

> > the Fedora users list.

> > --

>

> And why do you make posts that are nothing but an insult? *The

> "ridiculous" overgeneralizations are widely-shared beliefs, whether

> they fit your criteria for being true or even sensible or not. *How

> old are you? *Twelve?

>

> Robert Myers.

> --

> users mailing list

> users@lists.fedoraproject.org

> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


Oss are usually designed with a particular end user in mind. Your experience is a testament to that. You should use imho whichever OS seems most comfortable. That is the reason multiple OSs exist: to give people a choice to run whichever one seems most suitable to them.



I, personally prefer Linux (any flavor) to Windows, but I am not evangelical on the subject. I recognize there is room for multiple povs.


Terry

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org