Old 07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
"Jeffrey Ross"

Default F16 - Password requirements

How do I relax the password requirements in Fedora?

I though adjusting /etc/pam.d/system-auth was were the changed needed to
be made, I made this change:

#password requisite pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 type=
password sufficient pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass
#use_authtok
password required pam_deny.so

but Fedora still seems to be strict on password requirements. So either I
attacked the wrong file or made the wrong changes.

Any pointers to where I should be making my changes?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Rick Stevens

On 07/03/2012 08:56 AM, Jeffrey Ross issued this missive::

How do I relax the password requirements in Fedora?

I though adjusting /etc/pam.d/system-auth was were the changed needed to
be made, I made this change:

#password requisite pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 type=
password sufficient pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass
#use_authtok
password required pam_deny.so

but Fedora still seems to be strict on password requirements. So either I
attacked the wrong file or made the wrong changes.

Any pointers to where I should be making my changes?

You can remove pam_cracklib from the chain, change it to "optional" or
change its parameters. Check "man pam_cracklib" for how it works and
the parameters it accepts. Personally, I'd leave it "requisite" and
change its parameters to accommodate your relaxed restrictions.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do -
- in it. -
- -- WC. Fields -

Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Charlie Kravetz

[...]

- AIM/Skype: therps2 * * * *ICQ: 22643734 * * * * * *Yahoo: origrps2 -

- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-

- I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do *-

- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *in it. * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-

- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- WC. Fields -

It may also be necessary to make an adjustment to the requirements in /etc/login.def to relax it. That file controls things like logging it and number of times you may enter it before it will not be accepted.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Registered Linux User # 425914

Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Jeffrey Ross

[...]

Thanks for the hints, turns out I had the settings correct but the
problem turned out to be elsewhere, I am/was using poppassd to allow
users to change their passwords via squirrelmail and poppassd was
not working properly.* I handful of changes to poppassd and
everything is working as expected.

Thanks, Jeff