-   -   Message when running yum update (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/678822-message-when-running-yum-update.html)

JD 06-30-2012 06:44 PM

Message when running yum update

# yum -y update
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,

: subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This machine has not been registered and therefore has
no access to security and other critical updates. Please
register using subscription-manager.

This is the first time I see the registration thing.
Why is this being done?
Why does anyone have to register their machine?
I see no reason for this other than monitoring people's machines.
This is totally unacceptable.

Reindl Harald 06-30-2012 06:54 PM

Am 30.06.2012 20:44, schrieb JD:
> # yum -y update
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper, langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id,
> refresh-packagekit,
> : subscription-manager
> Updating certificate-based repositories.
> Unable to read consumer identity
>
> This machine has not been registered and therefore has
> no access to security and other critical updates. Please
> register using subscription-manager.

and you are really sure that this is FEDORA?
i doubt you have a RHEL in fornt of you
or enabled RHEL repos for whatever reason

Jonathan Dieter 06-30-2012 06:57 PM

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 12:44 -0600, JD wrote:
> # yum -y update
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
> langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,
> : subscription-manager
> Updating certificate-based repositories.
> Unable to read consumer identity
>
> This machine has not been registered and therefore has
> no access to security and other critical updates. Please
> register using subscription-manager.
shouldn't be installed on a Fedora machine. And Red Hat does want to
validate that your RHEL subscription before using them for updates.

Anyhow, a quick check in yum shows that both product-id and
subscription-manager aren't in the Fedora repositories. Removing them
(again, assuming you're on a Fedora machine) should fix the error
message.

Jonathan

JD 06-30-2012 07:03 PM

Message when running yum update

# yum -y update Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly,
etckeeper, langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id,
refresh-packagekit, : subscription-manager Updating certificate-based
repositories. Unable to read consumer identity This machine has not
been registered and therefore has no access to security and other
critical updates. Please register using subscription-manager.
and you are really sure that this is FEDORA? i doubt you have a RHEL
in fornt of you or enabled RHEL repos for whatever reason

Am runing fc16.
I have absolutely NO RHEL packages and no RHEL repo files

# ls -1 /etc/yum.repos.d/

adobe-linux-i386.repo
fedora-cinnamon.repo
fedora.repo
fedora-updates.repo
fedora-xfce-4.10.repo
google-chrome.repo
rpmfusion-free.repo
rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
skype.repo

Daniel 06-30-2012 07:16 PM

Message when running yum update

On 06/30/2012 11:44 AM, JD howled:

# yum -y update
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,
: subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This machine has not been registered and therefore has
no access to security and other critical updates. Please
register using subscription-manager.

This is the first time I see the registration thing.
Why is this being done?
Why does anyone have to register their machine?
I see no reason for this other than monitoring people's machines.
This is totally unacceptable.

Uhm, what's that last plugin in the list of loaded plugins?

JD 06-30-2012 07:20 PM

Message when running yum update

Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,
: subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This machine has not been registered and therefore has
no access to security and other critical updates. Please
register using subscription-manager.
shouldn't be installed on a Fedora machine. And Red Hat does want to
validate that your RHEL subscription before using them for updates.

Anyhow, a quick check in yum shows that both product-id and
subscription-manager aren't in the Fedora repositories. Removing them
(again, assuming you're on a Fedora machine) should fix the error
message.

Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan. That was it.
subscription-manager-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686
It came from fc16 updates repo.
To wit:
# yum list installed subscription-manager product-id
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,

: subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This machine has not been registered and therefore has
no access to security and other critical updates. Please
register using subscription-manager.

Installed Packages
subscription-manager.i686
1.0.3-1.fc16 @updates

I will remove it.

Andre Robatino 06-30-2012 07:24 PM

Jonathan Dieter <jdieter <at> lesbg.com> writes:

> Anyhow, a quick check in yum shows that both product-id and
> subscription-manager aren't in the Fedora repositories. Removing them
> (again, assuming you're on a Fedora machine) should fix the error
> message.

subscription-manager is in F17:

Name : subscription-manager
Arch : x86_64
Version : 1.0.3
Release : 1.fc17
Size : 384 k
Repo : updates
License : GPLv2
Description : The Subscription Manager package provides programs and libraries
: to allow users to manage subscriptions and yum repositories from
: the Red Hat entitlement platform.

Reindl Harald 06-30-2012 07:29 PM

Am 30.06.2012 21:20, schrieb JD:
> On 06/30/2012 12:57 PM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
>> On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 12:44 -0600, JD wrote:
>>> # yum -y update
>>> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, downloadonly, etckeeper,
>>> langpacks, presto, priorities, product-id, refresh-packagekit,
>>> : subscription-manager
>>> Updating certificate-based repositories.
>>> Unable to read consumer identity
>>>
>>> This machine has not been registered and therefore has
>>> no access to security and other critical updates. Please
>>> register using subscription-manager.
> It came from fc16 updates repo.

but it was surely NOT installed by default on any fedora
machine - please do not install random things and belive
more is better - the opposite is true: anyhting which is
not installed can make no troubles and everything will
make them sooner or later

Daniel 06-30-2012 07:31 PM

Message when running yum update

On 06/30/2012 11:44 AM, Andre Robatino sayed:

subscription-manager is in F17:

Yes, fair enough. But, as you quote,

JD 06-30-2012 07:35 PM

Message when running yum update

Jonathan Dieter <jdieter <at> lesbg.com> writes:

Anyhow, a quick check in yum shows that both product-id and
subscription-manager aren't in the Fedora repositories. Removing them
(again, assuming you're on a Fedora machine) should fix the error
message.

subscription-manager is in F17:

Name : subscription-manager
Arch : x86_64
Version : 1.0.3
Release : 1.fc17
Size : 384 k
Repo : updates
License : GPLv2
Description : The Subscription Manager package provides programs and libraries
: to allow users to manage subscriptions and yum repositories from
: the Red Hat entitlement platform.

But that is strange!!
As I reported, it is branded as fc16 from @updates.

I had to delete these:

# rpm -e subscription-manager-firstboot-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686
subscription-manager-gui-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686
subscription-manager-migration-1.0.3-1.fc16.i686 subscription-manager

They all came from fc16 @updates.