Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Default Pulseaudio strikes again!

On 06/30/2012 03:53 AM, suvayu ali wrote:

> I thought it solved the problem of multiple applications play some
> sound simultaneously on the same device? It's not as rare as you might
> think; a voip call while you are listening to music for example.

That was already solved by alsa dmix.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Ian Malone

On 30 June 2012 08:41, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 03:53 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> I thought it solved the problem of multiple applications play some
>> sound simultaneously on the same device? It's not as rare as you might
>> think; a voip call while you are listening to music for example.
>
> That was already solved by alsa dmix.

For certain values of 'solved'.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM
"David A. De Graaf"

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:53:15AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 30 June 2012 08:41, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> > On 06/30/2012 03:53 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> >
> >> I thought it solved the problem of multiple applications play some
> >> sound simultaneously on the same device? It's not as rare as you might
> >> think; a voip call while you are listening to music for example.
> >
> > That was already solved by alsa dmix.
> >

> For certain values of 'solved'.

I've discovered a solution. It is now necessary to remove two
packages:

alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
alsa-plugins-maemo

With both packages removed, both root and I (and presumeably all
users) can generate sounds, including a login tune generated in rc.local.

--
David A. De Graaf DATIX, Inc. Hendersonville, NC
dad@datix.us www.datix.us

Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
linux guy

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM, David A. De Graaf <dad@datix.us> wrote:

> I've discovered a solution. It is now necessary to remove two
> packages:
>
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> alsa-plugins-maemo

You just saved me a lot of time. I was fighting the same issue the other night.

I deleted these packages and sound works again for me too.