Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Steve Underwood

Default Debugging a system freeze?

On 06/17/2012 04:42 PM, Heinz Diehl wrote:

On 17.06.2012, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)

I bet your problem lies here. Correct the overclocking to the
parameters your CPU is designed for, and your problems will presumably
be gone.

I like the addition of "stable" to that line, when the problem being
reported is instability. :-)

Steve

Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)

I bet your problem lies here. Correct the overclocking to the

parameters your CPU is designed for, and your problems will presumably

be gone.

I like the addition of "stable" to that line, when the problem being reported is instability. :-)

Steve

Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)

I bet your problem lies here. Correct the overclocking to the

parameters your CPU is designed for, and your problems will presumably

be gone.

I like the addition of "stable" to that line, when the problem being reported is instability. :-)

Steve

Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

For the record, the problem occurs even when the CPU runs at stock.
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.06.2012 13:08, schrieb Christopher Svanefalk:
> Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at
> that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.
> For the record, the problem occurs even when the CPU runs at stock.

and you can not imagine that your "i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)" has damaged something?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Am 17.06.2012 13:08, schrieb Christopher Svanefalk:

> Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at

> that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.

> For the record, the problem occurs even when the CPU runs at stock.

and you can not imagine that your "i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)" has damaged something?

Reindl - no offense, but do you know anything at all about overclocking? Let alone how suitable the 3930K is for it, and how well it scales? If not, there are several helpful resources you can consult, I recommend this one:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Can somebody please answer my OP and point me to what syslogs I can examine to figure out what went on the freezes? Thanks!
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Am 17.06.2012 13:08, schrieb Christopher Svanefalk:

> Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at

> that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.

> For the record, the problem occurs even when the CPU runs at stock.

and you can not imagine that your "i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)" has damaged something?

Reindl - no offense, but do you know anything at all about overclocking? Let alone how suitable the 3930K is for it, and how well it scales? If not, there are several helpful resources you can consult, I recommend this one:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Can somebody please answer my OP and point me to what syslogs I can examine to figure out what went on the freezes? Thanks!

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Typo: went on the freezes => went on before* the freezes
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Am 17.06.2012 13:08, schrieb Christopher Svanefalk:

> Heinz and Steve - thank you for taking time to reply. The reason I added stable is because the CPU is stable at

> that voltage. In fact, it is stable at even lower vcores, I put it higher to avoid any margins. Thanks anyway.

> For the record, the problem occurs even when the CPU runs at stock.

and you can not imagine that your "i7-3930K clocked at 4.2Ghz with 1.240 vcore (stable)" has damaged something?

Reindl - no offense, but do you know anything at all about overclocking? Let alone how suitable the 3930K is for it, and how well it scales? If not, there are several helpful resources you can consult, I recommend this one:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Can somebody please answer my OP and point me to what syslogs I can examine to figure out what went on the freezes? Thanks!

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Typo: went on the freezes => went on before* the freezes
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Problem has been solved for the record - followed a recommendation and notched vcore up to 1.280, misread one of the original graphs.*
--
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Ed Greshko

Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:

>Problem has been solved for the record - followed a recommendation and
>notched vcore up to 1.280, misread one of the original graphs.

So, your problem is fixed? You found the problem was related to your over clocking settings after all?

--
Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

>Problem has been solved for the record - followed a recommendation and

>notched vcore up to 1.280, misread one of the original graphs.

So, your problem is fixed? You found the problem was related to your over clocking settings after all?

--

Sent from my Android tablet with K-9 Mail.

Nope, but I did notice my vcore was below specs. My concern is that it was still happening at stock speeds (no clocking at all). "Problem solved" was the wrong way to put it.

So, can anybody please tell me what logs I can examine to find out what was going on just before each freeze, the next time it happens?*
--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 17.06.2012, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> Can somebody please answer my OP and point me to what syslogs I can examine
> to figure out what went on the freezes? Thanks!

Works M-sysrq on this machine? If you have a kernel compiled with
support for it (standard Fedora kernels have it), then check
/etc/sysctl.conf, set "kernel.sysrq = 1" and do a "sysctl -p"
afterwards.

An overview over the commands you can use is here:
http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Maybe Alan could give you better advice what to do here..