Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Jeff Gipson

Default Debugging a system freeze?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 01:44:47PM +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

Problem has been solved for the record - followed a recommendation and
notched vcore up to 1.280, misread one of the original graphs.

--
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

### End of Message from Christopher Svanefalk ###

To address your (now moot) request, the Kernel ring buffer is probably
the first place I would go, if I suspected a hardware or hardware driver
issue. You can see the current contents of the ring buffer by running
the 'dmesg' command, or you can see more history is /var/log/messages
for general logs.

I should note from experience, that often when there's an obsure or
intermittant hardware problem sometimes the problem manifests itself
different ways each time, or side effects of the problem can misinform
the troubleshooting process. In an environment where you have >1
identical pieces of hardware with the same (Exact Same) Kernel version,
Kernel modules, and drivers, If one system had this problem and the
other didn't, then I would suspect either the h/w or environment first.
If I could reproduce the problem on both systems, then I would suspect
s/w, but not rule out the possibility of environment or h/w design flaw.

HTH
--
---------- Rule of Economy: Programmer time is expensive;
Jeffrey A. Gipson conserve it in preference to machine time.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

[...]

Thanks for the replies Heinz and Jeff (though the issue is not entirely moot just yet Jeff,*presumptuous*wording on my part), I will run those through the next time it happens.

--
Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Jeff Gipson

[...]

And this is a huge PITA, but if your system becomes to unusable to use
dmesg, *and* you have a another computer (preferably laptop) then you
can either use a null-modem cable (with a terminal emulator on the
laptop, such as 'screen' or 'minicom') or a network cable (with syslogd
on the laptop configure to accept logs from your ailing system over the
network). What you would be going for, is sending all the kernel logs to
the serial port (if using a null-modem) or remote laptop (if using
syslog/networking). That way if your system crashes hard, hopefully
enough logs will have escaped to the connected system to provide some
hints.

Unfortunately, I cannot give the specifics on how to configure this
either way... I could tell you if it were an RHEL5 system, but so much
of the logging has changed on recent Fedoras and I haven't had time to
examine how it is working.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Mateusz Marzantowicz

On 17.06.2012 08:40, Christopher