Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Fernando Cassia

Default what name does com1 rs232 get in F16+ ?

I have a server with a good old rs232 port, namely com1 in the win32 / os2 world.
I have plugged a good old real external modem (not winmodem) -a Zoltrix V90 56k- via db9 rs232 cable to the com1 port.

On Fedora 16+ I get no /dev/modem device at all. Why this?

If I fire up kppp and select the modem tab, under port I get a long list of meaningless names like
/dev/noz0
/dev/noz1

/dev/noz2

/dev/noz3

/dev/ttyl0

/dev/ttyl1

/dev/ttyl2

/dev/ttyl3
/dev/ttyACM0
/dev/ttyACM1

/dev/ttyACM2

/dev/ttyACM3

/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1

/dev/ttyS2

/dev/ttyS3

So... is there any app/script out there that can save me the hassle of trying one by one and find a modem that answers in the com1 port?
I really don' t want to know what meaningless name F16+ assigns to the port... just give me a good old /dev/modem...

FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Fernando Cassia

So... is there any app/script out there that can save me the hassle of trying one by one and find a modem that answers in the com1 port?
I really don' t want to know what meaningless name F16+ assigns to the port... just give me a good old /dev/modem...

FWIW

# setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Bill Davidsen

Fernando Cassia wrote:

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com
So... is there any app/script out there that can save me the hassle of
trying one by one and find a modem that answers in the com1 port?
I really don' t want to know what meaningless name F16+ assigns to the
port... just give me a good old /dev/modem...

FWIW

# setserial -g /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

FC

Unfortunately that describes the hardware, but not which port has the modem
connected (assuming a plug-in serial connection). I assume ttyS0 is COM1, always
was in the past.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Fernando Cassia

Unfortunately that describes the hardware, but not which port has the modem connected (assuming a plug-in serial connection). I assume ttyS0 is COM1, always was in the past.
The kppp dialer tells me it cannot open the port as it is locked and in use.

So why is there no /dev/modem anymore and should´nt the OS create such a symlnk when it sees the first operating serial port not used by something else? (ie one would think that a serial modem could be plugged there).

FC

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Alan Cox

> So why is there no /dev/modem anymore and should´nt the OS create such a
> symlnk when it sees the first operating serial port not used by something
> else? (ie one would think that a serial modem could be plugged there).

Suppose it's your UPS or a cutting machine, or a 3d printer.. not good
things to randomly claim are modems.

There is a procedure for identifying some serial devices via magic PnP
sequences and it ought to be able to identify some modems that way. You
can't however randomly assume.

Alan

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Fernando Cassia

There is a procedure for identifying some serial devices via magic PnP

sequences and it ought to be able to identify some modems that way. You

can't however randomly assume.
That´s my point Is that magic trick still available? can it be invoked at request or is it done only at boot? or has it been deprecated in the name of modernity?.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Fernando Cassia

There is a procedure for identifying some serial devices via magic PnP

sequences and it ought to be able to identify some modems that way. You

can't however randomly assume.
Maybe this explains why I'm unable to access the serial port... once again SELinux more a pain in the ass rather than of real use...

http://www.ukraa.com/www/faq/75-starbar/102-fedora15rxtx.html

Fedora 15 Unable to connect to serial port

Written by Administrator

Thursday, 25 August 2011 20:16

Fedora 15 fails to connect to USB - Serial port or inbuilt serial port

Fedora 15 comes with a restrictive user policy.
Your user account need to be in the dialout group you can accomplish this with the command below run as the root user.

usermod -a -G dialout <username>

-----

FC

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Zoltan Boszormenyi

wrote:

[...]

What does it have to do with SELinux? It's the plain old UNIX
permissions.

In the old(ish) times, you had to be in the "uucp" group to
accomplish the same.

-----

FC

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/28/2012 04:17 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Maybe this explains why I'm unable to access the serial port... once again SELinux
> more a pain in the ass rather than of real use...
>
> http://www.ukraa.com/www/faq/75-starbar/102-fedora15rxtx.html
>

> Fedora 15 Unable to connect to serial port
>
> Written by Administrator Thursday, 25 August 2011 20:16
>
> Fedora 15 fails to connect to USB - Serial port or inbuilt serial port
>
> Fedora 15 comes with a restrictive user policy.
>
> Your user account need to be in the dialout group you can accomplish this with the
> command below run as the root user.
>
> usermod -a -G dialout <username>

Wow.... :-) :-)

And did you know that one needs to be part of the "wireshark" group to use wireshark
as a normal user? And, you have to part of the "vboxusers" group to gain access to
USB devices when using VirtualBox?

This has nothing to do with selinux. It is normal unix/linux limiting policy.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Fernando Cassia

In the old(ish) times, you had to be in the "uucp" group to
accomplish the same.
I used a modem in SUSE and also Linspire 4.0, and I don't remember having to fiddle with user permissions... but that was a long long time ago (last time I had to use dial-up).

FC