Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Alex

Default Using f17 beta and status

Hi,

If I were to install an F17 beta at this point, instead of waiting for
the release next week, would it be possible to upgrade that beta to
the production version once it is actually released?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM
David

On 5/26/2012 8:38 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I were to install an F17 beta at this point, instead of waiting for
> the release next week, would it be possible to upgrade that beta to
> the production version once it is actually released?

Get RC4. That would be as close as you can get to Fedora 17 until
Tuesday. And, the way it was written, RC4 already is the Fedora 17 release.

But to answer your question. I should be possible but that would be the
hard way to do it IMO.

--

David

Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 AM
NRL

I found this link about upgrading. I hope this helps.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading

Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 AM
NRL

I found this link too.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_from_pre-release_to_final

Old 05-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Bill Davidsen

Alex wrote:

Hi,

If I were to install an F17 beta at this point, instead of waiting for
the release next week, would it be possible to upgrade that beta to
the production version once it is actually released?

I started with fc17alpha and have upgraded to whatever was current this morning.
You can play with preupgrade if you are a stickler for perfection, but running
"yum upgrade" has worked well for me. I think going with a beta of some kind,
RC4 has been mentioned, would work as well.

Any upgrade tends to leave some cruft behind, if you want perfect you would have
to do a full new install, which generally has no functional difference, just a
"debris field" of stuff not quite cleaned up. I see no reason not to go if you
can wait, or want to test drive over the holiday.

If you want a test drive, install in a VM.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Alex

Hi,

>> If I were to install an F17 beta at this point, instead of waiting for
>> the release next week, would it be possible to upgrade that beta to
>> the production version once it is actually released?
>>
> I started with fc17alpha and have upgraded to whatever was current this
> morning. You can play with preupgrade if you are a stickler for perfection,
> but running "yum upgrade" has worked well for me. I think going with a beta
> of some kind, RC4 has been mentioned, would work as well.
>
> Any upgrade tends to leave some cruft behind, if you want perfect you would
> have to do a full new install, which generally has no functional difference,
> just a "debris field" of stuff not quite cleaned up. I see no reason not to
> go if you can wait, or want to test drive over the holiday.

Great ideas, thanks. I'll play around with it in a VM for a while.

Thanks,
Alex