Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Ed Greshko

Default HP Laserjet P1006 - no errors, no output

On 05/26/2012 11:01 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Somebody didn't need this printer, I grabbed it, and plugged it in.
>
> Fedora recognized it, and installed a Foomatic driver for it.
>
> When I attempt to print a test page, everything "seems" to work on the software
> side. A job shows up in a print queue, for a few seconds, then Fedora tells me that
> the job printed succesfully, and the job disappears off the queue.
>
> But the printer stays absolutely silent.
>
> I see absolutely nothing useful in /var/log/cups. access_log claims success:
>
> localhost - root [25/May/2012:22:45:11 -0400] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 24757
> CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer successful-ok
> localhost - - [25/May/2012:22:45:16 -0400] "POST /printers/HP-LaserJet-P1006
> HTTP/1.1" 200 458 Print-Job successful-ok
>
> Despite what anything says here, the printer just sleeps, doing nothing. It never
> shows any indication that it's getting a print job.
>
> So, where do I go from here? Hate to throw this printer away, but Fedora/CUPS is
> refusing to cooperate.

Maybe a silly question, but do you have the hplip packages installed?

I don't have that printer....but when I go to http://localhost:631/ and go through
the process to modify my printer one of the select-able models is....

HP LaserJet p1006, hpijs, 3.12.2, requires proprietary plugin (en)

Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Maybe a silly question, but do you have the hplip packages installed?
>
> I don't have that printer....but when I go to http://localhost:631/ and go through
> the process to modify my printer one of the select-able models is....
>
> HP LaserJet p1006, hpijs, 3.12.2, requires proprietary plugin (en)
>
> Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?

Also see....

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_p1006.html

???

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?

OK.... That was simple....

All you need to do his have all the proper hplip and hpijs packages installed and
then simply run "hp-plugin" and it will download and install that propriety plugin.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/26/2012 12:06 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?
> OK.... That was simple....
>
> All you need to do his have all the proper hplip and hpijs packages installed and
> then simply run "hp-plugin" and it will download and install that propriety plugin.

And even the "proprietary" plugin..... :-)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Ed Greshko writes:

On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Maybe a silly question, but do you have the hplip packages installed?
>
> I don't have that printer....but when I go to http://localhost:631/ and go
through

> the process to modify my printer one of the select-able models is....
>
> HP LaserJet p1006, hpijs, 3.12.2, requires proprietary plugin (en)
>
> Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?

Also see....

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_p1006.html

???

Heh. I already have hplip installed. But when I plugged in the P1006 for the
first time, CUPS then proceeded and installed the foo2xqx and foo2zjs RPMS
for me, together with their dependencies from rpmfusion. It found these RPMS
in rpmfusion. I actually thought that this was pretty impressive, how it
autoinstalled the right RPMs it wanted.

http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ claims that the foo2zjs/foo2xqx driver, that I got
pulled in from rpmfusion, is broken. That's probably my answer.

Just for giggles, I ran hp-setup. It told me that I needed some firmware,
then proceeded and downloaded it, without disclosing any more details, and
that made the printer wake up, and make itself useful. Splendid.

Now, if hp-setup could only tell me what it downloaded, and where it dumped
whatever it loaded on the filesystem…

Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/26/2012 12:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Just for giggles, I ran hp-setup. It told me that I needed some firmware, then
> proceeded and downloaded it, without disclosing any more details, and that made the
> printer wake up, and make itself useful. Splendid.

Good, your printer is working...

> Now, if hp-setup could only tell me what it downloaded, and where it dumped
> whatever it loaded on the filesystem…

Hey, it is proprietary so why should they tell you? :-)

But, if you go to /usr/share/hplip and find all the files that have a date of "today"
you'll probably find all the pieces. One of the pieces should be
/usr/share/hplip/data/plugins/license.txt.

And much of the other files are in /usr/share/hplip/data/firmware

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Frantisek Hanzlik

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 12:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Now, if hp-setup could only tell me what it downloaded, and where it dumped
>> whatever it loaded on the filesystem…
>
> Hey, it is proprietary so why should they tell you? :-)
# whereis hp-setup
hp-setup: /usr/bin/hp-setup
# rpm -qf /usr/bin/hp-setup
hplip-3.12.2-4.fc16.i686
# rpm -qi hplip|grep -i licens
License : GPLv2+ and MIT

Although PPD files may be proprietary, hplip itself isn't.
And despite of it, there IMO should be traceable what in filesystem
was changed. Probably not only in GPL OSes.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/26/2012 04:59 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/26/2012 12:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> Now, if hp-setup could only tell me what it downloaded, and where it dumped
>>> whatever it loaded on the filesystem…
>> Hey, it is proprietary so why should they tell you? :-)
> # whereis hp-setup
> hp-setup: /usr/bin/hp-setup
> # rpm -qf /usr/bin/hp-setup
> hplip-3.12.2-4.fc16.i686
> # rpm -qi hplip|grep -i licens
> License : GPLv2+ and MIT
>
> Although PPD files may be proprietary, hplip itself isn't.
> And despite of it, there IMO should be traceable what in filesystem
> was changed. Probably not only in GPL OSes.

Of course the HP process, either hp-setup or hp-plugin, should tell you where/what it
is downloading and where these files are being placed. I had hoped that would have
been logged in /var/log/hp but it isn't. Hence my smiley face....

The files being added aren't PPD files, FWIW.

For the curious, they can download http://hplip.sf.net/plugin.conf and then determine
which plugin archive needs to be downloaded based on the version of hplip installed.
In the 3.12.2 they would then need to download
http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/hplip-3.12.2-plugin.run

You can then look in the begining of that file to determine you can execute it with
--list and have it return the list of files being added to your system.

Using that bit of information you can find the files added....with a little bit of
detective work.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Zoltan Boszormenyi

On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Maybe a silly question, but do you have the hplip packages
installed?

> I don't have that printer....but when I go to
http://localhost:631/ and go through

> the process to modify my printer one of the select-able
models is....

> HP LaserJet p1006, hpijs, 3.12.2, requires proprietary
plugin (en)

> Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that
a try?

Also see....

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_p1006.html

???

Heh. I already have hplip installed. But when I plugged in the
P1006 for the first time, CUPS then proceeded and installed the
foo2xqx and foo2zjs RPMS for me, together with their dependencies
from rpmfusion. It found these RPMS in rpmfusion. I actually
thought that this was pretty impressive, how it autoinstalled the
right RPMs it wanted.

http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ claims that the foo2zjs/foo2xqx driver,
that I got pulled in from rpmfusion, is broken. That's probably my
answer.

Actually, foo2zjs and foo2xqx drivers compiled from source are just
as broken

without the printer firmware. I remember a long ago I had to set it
up manually.

The Windows driver CD for my HP LaserJet 1020 had the firmware plain
in sight,

the README for foo2zjs explained where to put it and how to add
autoloading

to udev configuration. That was around Fedora 9. Since then I used
hp-setup

to use the "proper" driver but foo2zjs works just as well. Though at
that time

foo2zjs worked better, as hplip didn't support LJ 1020...