Old 05-24-2012, 04:26 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

Default Readlink: permission denied -- now: proc filesystem

On 05/23/2012 11:22 PM, JD wrote:

On 05/23/2012 07:51 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
The /proc file system is not a real file system. It is a
"pseudo-file system", see
"man proc". AFAIK, it is under the control of the kernel and doesn't
or may not act

as one may expect.

So, the /proc file system allocates resources to a process

without the process' request. I have not studied the /proc file
system - guess it's time I boned up on it.
Not sure if it will remain part of the kernel for much longer though

No, the proc filesystem merely shows what resources the kernel has
allocated to
the process, either by the processes request or while handling those
requests.

The process itself can read its own resources, or root can, and certain
related

processes can read some of them.

The proc file system is really an elegant way to monitor certain things
in an simple manner.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe (proventesters)