Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Hi, I need help about error at external HDD 1 TB at FC6

On 05/22/2012 12:37 PM, Roberto Escobar Suárez wrote:

Well just a month ago, I used ntfs-3g and fuse to work with an external
HDD on Fedora Core 6, a few days ago system cannot save files on my
external HDD,

FC6 reached its End Of Life several years ago. If you're still using
it, my best advice to you is to sign up at the Fedora Forum,
http://www.fedoraforum.org and ask about this in the special forum they
have for versions that are past their EOL. Good luck, and I hope you
find an answer to your question.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
JD

Well just a month ago, I used ntfs-3g and fuse to work with an
external HDD on Fedora Core 6, a few days ago system cannot save files
on my external HDD, I unmount HDD, and restart and it was the
solution, but now I can't create directories, the message is:
mkdir: no se puede crear el directorio
/media/mount_point_i_believe/directory/directory_to_create error de
entrada/salida

I typed the command : dmesg at terminal

scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 122095175
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 122095175
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786431
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786431
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786433
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 122095175
scsi 5:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Buffer I/O error on device sdf1, logical block 786431

This is just I could copy from Terminal, I don't know if it could be
full info, for your attention, thanks so much

I would tend to think that the drive is failing, and you may have to
return it for repair if it is still under warranty. If you do plan to
return it

and you may want to erase it's contents before you send it for repair;
use hdparm to securely erase the entire drive.
Read the man page of hdparm to learn how to erase it.