Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Mike Wright

Default how to type special characters?

Hi all,

There was a thread not too far back that explained how to type
characters not on a keyboard by using the <alt> key but for the life of
me I can not find it.

e.g. to type a Spanish i with an accent mark it would be <alt> apostrophe i.

I made pretty heavy use of it for a while but it ceased working. I
can't remember if there was something I had to do before it would
function. It would work in vi, xterm, email, basically everywhere and
now it doesn't work anywhere.

Anybody remember the thread?

TIA,
Mike Wright

Old 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 05/22/2012 12:00 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> e.g. to type a Spanish i with an accent mark it would be <alt> apostrophe i.

You need the USA-International keyboard layout (that's what I use).
Here on F14: System/Preferences/Keyboard and then you go to the Layouts
tab and change it there.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 05/22/2012 12:18 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> You need the USA-International keyboard layout (that's what I use).
> Here on F14: System/Preferences/Keyboard and then you go to the Layouts
> tab and change it there.

Or, in a terminal (I hope it still works in F15 or F16):

system-config-keyboard

...and choose "U.S. International".

Regards,
Jorge

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
James Wilkinson

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There was a thread not too far back that explained how to type
> characters not on a keyboard by using the <alt> key but for the life
> of me I can not find it.
>
> e.g. to type a Spanish i with an accent mark it would be <alt> apostrophe i.

You might find
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ExtraCharacters (which
is a general discussion of entering extra characters in Gnome and Linux)
and
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Accented_Characters to be
interesting reading. There are a number of ways of doing this, and you
may want to consider different approaches.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | A: Because people don’t normally read bottom to top.
aprilcottage.co.uk | Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
"David A. De Graaf"

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:15:54PM +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There was a thread not too far back that explained how to type
> > characters not on a keyboard by using the <alt> key but for the life
> > of me I can not find it.
> >
> > e.g. to type a Spanish i with an accent mark it would be <alt> apostrophe i.

Here are the notes I wrote to myself about diacritical marks:

************
CTL-ALT-BS and the Compose key

I've created /usr/local/bin/killx:

********** START
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -option compose:ralt
********** END

This restores the traditional method of killing an X session
and also defines the right-ALT key as the Compose key for entering a
variety of non-ascii characters - the diacriticals listed in
/usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-15/Compose

List this script in Application | Preferences | SessionandStartup
under ApplicationAutostart to ensure that it runs with startxfce4.
It can also be run manually.

--
David A. De Graaf DATIX, Inc. Hendersonville, NC
dad@datix.us www.datix.us

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 PM
JD

There was a thread not too far back that explained how to type
characters not on a keyboard by using the <alt> key but for the life
of me I can not find it.

e.g. to type a Spanish i with an accent mark it would be <alt>
apostrophe i.

I made pretty heavy use of it for a while but it ceased working. I
can't remember if there was something I had to do before it would
function. It would work in vi, xterm, email, basically everywhere and
now it doesn't work anywhere.

Anybody remember the thread?

TIA,
Mike Wright

Don't know if this will help, but
how about using
youtube-dl (yum -y install youtube-dl)
to download the flash file?
After you download it, you can play it with any
of the linux media players like vlc and mplayer,
among others.
In addition, there is the firefox add-on called
"video downloadhelper", url
http://www.downloadhelper.net/

Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM
JD