Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Edward M

Default create liveCD with fedora-livecd-desktop.ks

Hi,

Iḿ currently trying creating a custom Fedora 16 LiveCD. from Fedoraś
wiki howto called " How to create and use a LiveCD.¨
As order in the wiki, I have installed: livecd-tools, sping-kickstarts
and then changed Selinux permissive mode to 0 and executed the

following command:

livecd-creator
--config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
--fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
So far everything seems going well, well no errors:-) However the shell
prompt is busy at this point:

138 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
3105 manual pages were added.
0 stray cats were added.
0 old database entries were purged.
************************************************** ************************************************** ****

since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this usually
takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with

4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?

thanks!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Edward M

[...]

Forgot to mention the shell prompt has been busy for about close to
an hour

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 00:34:56 -0700,
since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this
usually takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with

4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?

thanks!

Forgot to mention the shell prompt has been busy for about close
to an hour

It can take a few hours to build a larger image (e.g. games) on my machine.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 00:32 -0700, Edward M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Iḿ currently trying creating a custom Fedora 16 LiveCD. from Fedoraś
> wiki howto called " How to create and use a LiveCD.¨
> As order in the wiki, I have installed: livecd-tools, sping-kickstarts
> and then changed Selinux permissive mode to 0 and executed the
> following command:
>
> livecd-creator
> --config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
> --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live
>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
> So far everything seems going well, well no errors:-) However the shell
> prompt is busy at this point:
>
> 138 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
> 3105 manual pages were added.
> 0 stray cats were added.
> 0 old database entries were purged.
> ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
>
> since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this usually
> takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with
> 4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?
>
> thanks!

A better approach id to download the latest version of "unetbootin" from
unetbootin.sourceforge.net. This will allow you to easily produce a Live
USB of F16 and use it to boot it.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Bill Davidsen

Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

But you still need the CD/DVD image file unless you plan on using just the stock
install DVD. Also note that doing just that, I found that installing from USB
onto a new (unpartitioned) SSD the install asked for a network connection and
wouldn't install without it. Since I lack a huge supply of systems to play I can
only say it happened on three (different) small systems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Edward M

Thanks for the replys:-)

Creating the LiveCD by executing the following command;

livecd-creator
--config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
--fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live

issued the following warning, however the LiveCD creation procdeure
continued:

the mountpoint / has already been defined.
warnings.warn(_("A partition with the mountpoint %s has already been
defined.") % pd.mountpoint)

After the 1135 packages were installed, I think from cache, the
procdeure failed with the following error:

************************************************** ************************************************** ****
Error creating Live CD : fsck after resize returned an error (1)!
umount: /var/tmp/imgcreate-4prhcu/install_root/sys/fs/selinux/load: not
found

Do I need to make changes to the base file or simply is a bug?

Iḿ using
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD

Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 09:14 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 00:32 -0700, Edward M wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Iḿ currently trying creating a custom Fedora 16 LiveCD. from Fedoraś
> >> wiki howto called " How to create and use a LiveCD.¨
> >> As order in the wiki, I have installed: livecd-tools, sping-kickstarts
> >> and then changed Selinux permissive mode to 0 and executed the
> >> following command:
> >>
> >> livecd-creator
> >> --config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks
> >> --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live
> >>

> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
> >> So far everything seems going well, well no errors:-) However the shell
> >> prompt is busy at this point:
> >>
> >> 138 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
> >> 3105 manual pages were added.
> >> 0 stray cats were added.
> >> 0 old database entries were purged.
> >> ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
> >>
> >> since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this usually
> >> takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with
> >> 4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >>

> > A better approach id to download the latest version of "unetbootin" from
> > unetbootin.sourceforge.net. This will allow you to easily produce a Live
> > USB of F16 and use it to boot it.
>
> But you still need the CD/DVD image file unless you plan on using just the stock
> install DVD. Also note that doing just that, I found that installing from USB
> onto a new (unpartitioned) SSD the install asked for a network connection and
> wouldn't install without it. Since I lack a huge supply of systems to play I can
> only say it happened on three (different) small systems.

Let be clear . Installing the Live USB does not reqire an internet
connection. And while you have the F16 running you can bring up the
connection just as you would in F16. Then you can download the Live F16
into the hard drive. Along the way you get a chance to partition the
disk just as you would from the install DVD. I just installed F16 this
way without any problems.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Bill Davidsen

Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

I did three new machines lest month, each from Live USB, each with a new
unpartitioned drive, each of which demanded a network connection and would not
continue. fc15 worked, RHEL6 worked, FC16 did not. Since there is not network
connection I did not use FC16 on those machines. I may have another machine next
month, if the same problem occurs I'll take a picture, but it was totally
consistent, and other than general configuration not on the same identical machines.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>