Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
JD

Default wifi bit rate

On 05/21/2012 01:34 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:

On 05/21/2012 01:18 PM, JD wrote:

Any wifi protocol savvy people who can explain this:

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Private"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:AA:BB:CCD:EE

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Managementff
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-36 dBm

The access point is a 54G wifi gateway and router.

My wifi card is the Atheros AR5008 which is an 802.11n card.

How could the bit rate be restricted to 18Mb/s??
Is this a problem with the ath9k driver or the wext driver?
PS: I did not have the issue until installing FC16. This
problem was absent in FC14.

I thought wifi adjusts the data rate on the fly based on how strong
the signal is. Try moving the laptop closer to the router, at least
just to see if the rate goes up...

No difference!!
Stuck at 18mb/s

By the way: I changed wifi interface on my machine to an rtl8187
and still iwconfig reports 18mb/s, with full signal quality at 70/70 !!!

# iwconfig wlan1
wlan1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Private"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:AA:BB:CCD:EE

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Managementff
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-25 dBm

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Konstantin Svist

[...]

Hm, you're right - the quality is out of 70 and the rate is really low..
here's mine:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"Redacted"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:
00:141:C4:4C:3F

Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=62/70 Signal level=-48 dBm

Maybe it's because I'm also connected over ethernet, so wifi is not
being used, so it's in powersaving mode of some kind..?
See if your rate goes up/down if you're actively transferring a bunch of
data.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Rick Stevens

[...]

My laptop is using a wired connection currentl, but the wireless
shows...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"myessid"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
98:FC:11:4A:89:56

Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality=63/70 Signal level=-47 dBm

My guess is it's the signal strength. Note mine is at -47dBm, the OP's
was at -36dBm.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital ricks@alldigital.com -
- -
- Let us think the unthinkable. Let us do the undoable. Let us -
- prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may -
- not eff it up after all. -
- -- Douglas Adams -

Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 AM
JD

[...]

!!!

[...]

My rate remains constant at 18mb/s

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
JD

[...]

I think that perhaps iwconfig might be broken,
or one or both of the drivers ( ath9k and or wext)
may be providing wrong info to whatever syscall iwconfig
is using to obtain the info.
When I take my laptop to starbucks or McDonalds hot spot,
even when sitting outside, bitrate never is below 54mbps,
sometime is as high as 72mb/s

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Tom Horsley

Just for curiosity, does anyone actually know for sure
what units the programs involves are calling "mb/s".
Maybe one of them thinks it means megabytes and
another thinks it means megabits :-).

Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 AM
JD

Just for curiosity, does anyone actually know for sure
what units the programs involves are calling "mb/s".
Maybe one of them thinks it means megabytes and
another thinks it means megabits :-).

That depends on what the coder of iwconfig meant

I have seen acronyms for speed where mB/s meant
megabits/s vs mb/s to mean megabytes/s.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Joe Zeff