Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
JD

Default wifi bit rate

Any wifi protocol savvy people who can explain this:

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Private"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:AA:BB:CCD:EE

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Managementff
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-36 dBm

The access point is a 54G wifi gateway and router.

My wifi card is the Atheros AR5008 which is an 802.11n card.

How could the bit rate be restricted to 18Mb/s??
Is this a problem with the ath9k driver or the wext driver?
PS: I did not have the issue until installing FC16. This
problem was absent in FC14.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Konstantin Svist

Any wifi protocol savvy people who can explain this:

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Private"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:AA:BB:CCD:EE

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Managementff
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-36 dBm

The access point is a 54G wifi gateway and router.

My wifi card is the Atheros AR5008 which is an 802.11n card.

How could the bit rate be restricted to 18Mb/s??
Is this a problem with the ath9k driver or the wext driver?
PS: I did not have the issue until installing FC16. This
problem was absent in FC14.

I thought wifi adjusts the data rate on the fly based on how strong the
signal is. Try moving the laptop closer to the router, at least just to
see if the rate goes up...