Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Chuck Peters

Default Dialup users and keeping a system updated

I have a friend using Fedora 15 and I have asked her keep the system updated, but she has fallen behind and now has 300+MB to download (not counting presto if it helps). *I have searched for a method which would allow me to download them on a faster net connection, but I haven't found something simple*similar*to what we used with Debian/Ubuntu. *apt-zip creates a script and once I run the script with the faster net connection it wget's all the files, or I can get a list of URI's with apt-get dselect-update --print-uris. *

I would like to get the system updated before we need to upgrade the machine to Fedora 17, ie. yum update --print-uris would help. *Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Иван Миронов

2012/5/21 Chuck Peters <cp@axs.org>:

> I have a friend using Fedora 15 and I have asked her keep the system
> updated, but she has fallen behind and now has 300+MB to download (not
> counting presto if it helps). *I have searched for a method which would
> allow me to download them on a faster net connection, but I haven't found
> something simple*similar*to what we used with Debian/Ubuntu. *apt-zip
> creates a script and once I run the script with the faster net connection it
> wget's all the files, or I can get a list of URI's with apt-get
> dselect-update --print-uris.
>
> I would like to get the system updated before we need to upgrade the machine
> to Fedora 17, ie. yum update --print-uris would help. *Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Chuck

Try yumdownloader --urls.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/21/2012 09:57 AM, Chuck Peters wrote:

> I have a friend using Fedora 15 and I have asked her keep the system updated, but
> she has fallen behind and now has 300+MB to download (not counting presto if it
> helps). I have searched for a method which would allow me to download them on a
> faster net connection, but I haven't found something simple similar to what we used
> with Debian/Ubuntu. apt-zip creates a script and once I run the script with the
> faster net connection it wget's all the files, or I can get a list of URI's with
> apt-get dselect-update --print-uris.
>
> I would like to get the system updated before we need to upgrade the machine to
> Fedora 17, ie. yum update --print-uris would help. Any suggestions?

You can try this.....

On both systems install yum-plugin-downloadonly.

Then on the dialup system run....

yum update

When asked if this is OK, say No. Should then get a line that reads something
similar to...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx

Take the yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx to the system with the fast
connection and run...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx --downloadonly

The files are saved in /var/cache/yum/i386/16/updates/packages (more or less)

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Frank Murphy

When asked if this is OK, say No. Should then get a line that reads something
similar to...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx

Take the yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx to the system with the fast
connection and run...

yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx --downloadonly

The files are saved in /var/cache/yum/i386/16/updates/packages (more or less)

You can also say where to download the files:
yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx
--downloadonly --downloaddir=/where_you/want_to/save_the_files

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Chuck Peters

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/05/12 07:49, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>> When asked if this is OK, say No. *Should then get a line that reads
>> something
>> similar to...
>>
>> yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx
>
>> Take the yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-46.yuA8Tw.yumtx to the system with the
>> fast
>> connection and run...
>>
>> yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx
>> --downloadonly
>>
>> The files are saved in /var/cache/yum/i386/16/updates/packages *(more or
>> less)
>>

> You can also say where to download the files:
> yum load-transaction /tmp/yum_save_tx.2012-05-21.14-41.O26_49.yumtx
> --downloadonly --downloaddir=/where_you/want_to/save_the_files

I tried and it didn't work.
[cp@fedora tmp]$ sudo yum load-transaction
/tmp/yum_save_tx-2012-05-21-21-54cbd9xI.yumtx --downloadonly
[sudo] password for cp:
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: rpmdb ver mismatched saved transaction version, aborting.

Perhaps it is because my friend is running Fedora 15 and I have Fedora 16.
Hopefully it will work once we both upgrade to Fedora 17 in the near future.

My earlier comment about needing 300MB of updates was clearly off. I am
updating her nvidia right now Total download size: 23 M and the updates I
just finished were over 600MB.

Transaction Summary
Install 8 Package(s)
Upgrade 295 Package(s)