Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Ed Greshko

Default basic systemd question

On 05/21/2012 07:08 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> I'm starting to use systemd. I've written a simple unit file and
> systemd starts the service during boot. When I manually kill
> the process though, it doesn't get restarted the way I expected
> it would. Is there an option to specify for that? Thank you.

Your process starts at boot time...as expected.

You then manually kill it, how? Using the systemtl command?

You then expect it to automatically restart? What leads you to expect that?

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sunday, May 20, 2012, Brian Wood <woodbrian77@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to use systemd.* I've written a simple unit file and
> systemd starts the service during boot.* When I manually kill

> the process though, it doesn't get restarted the way I expected
> it would.* Is there an option to specify for that?* Thank you.

systemd will not restart a failed service by default, because there are many situations where that would be very bad. *You must explicitly configure it to do so using the "Restart=" directive in your unit file. *See 'man systemd.service' for the details.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 21.05.2012 01:08, schrieb Brian Wood:
> I'm starting to use systemd. I've written a simple unit file and
> systemd starts the service during boot. When I manually kill
> the process though, it doesn't get restarted the way I expected
> it would. Is there an option to specify for that? Thank you.

Restart=always
RestartSec=1

add the two lines in [Service] and it will exactly do what you want