Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 PM
JD

Default In F16, Atheros AR5008 being restricted to 18mb/s

$ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Private"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:AA:BB:CCD:EE

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Managementff
Link Quality=58/70 Signal level=-52 dBm

I have tried to force 54G, to no avail:

# iwconfig wlan0 rate 54G
# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Sean&Anna"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
00:1D:5A:C8:91:C1

Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption keyff <<<---- Not true!! Do not know why
iwconfig is saying this.

Power Managementff
Link Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm

Is the router capable of limiting the rate selectively for some wifi clients
and not others? I have checked 2 other computers on wifi, and they
are at 54G.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
James Wilkinson

JD wrote:
> $ iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Private"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
> 00:AA:BB:CCD:EE
> Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
> Power Managementff
> Link Quality=58/70 Signal level=-52 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:32 Missed beacon:0
>
> I have tried to force 54G, to no avail:
>
> # iwconfig wlan0 rate 54G
> # iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"Sean&Anna"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point:
> 00:1D:5A:C8:91:C1
> Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
> Encryption keyff <<<---- Not true!! Do not know why
> iwconfig is saying this.
> Power Managementff
> Link Quality=57/70 Signal level=-53 dBm
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:62 Missed beacon:0
>
> Is the router capable of limiting the rate selectively for some wifi clients
> and not others? I have checked 2 other computers on wifi, and they
> are at 54G.

What happens if you move the computer right next to the access point?
54Mbit/s is a best-case speed: as you move away from the access point,
speeds will drop.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "I would like to apologise to the relatives of the fan
aprilcottage.co.uk | who gave me 29 books to sign in Odyssey 7, Manchester.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM
JD