Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Paul Allen Newell

Default : ssh between F16 Xfce and Cygwin

On 5/20/2012 11:39 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 5/20/2012 8:00 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
It also should be a very simple matter to prove to yourself that the
cygwin system is

at fault.

Just go to your cygwin system, open a window on that system, and ssh
to itself. This
eliminates the network and since you are going from a system to
itself...eliminates

anything other than itself.

Ed:

That never occurred to me and I will certainly try .. you are right
that it could eliminate a whole lot of noise.

Many thanks for the suggestion,
Paul

I powered up the XP box, ran the test with telnet and ssh to self and
got failure. Figured it was time to dig through Cygwin. Powered down to
go do some errands.

Powered back up and, after checking for existing issues, getting the
email ready, and the cygcheck done, I tried Ed's test one last time. It
worked this time (?huh?). Powered up an F16 box and tried both direction
ssh. It worked.

I did at least one power cycle yesterday on the XP and, as stated above,
got the failure on XP box today.

So, this is solved by reason of POM (phase-of-moon). I apologize for the
noise even though, given at least one power cycle on a F16 and XP
machines, it was still giving me the error. I can only mumble "Windows
..." under my breath and continue working on F16

Thanks,
Paul

Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/21/2012 05:47 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I did at least one power cycle yesterday on the XP and, as stated above, got the
> failure on XP box today.
>
> So, this is solved by reason of POM (phase-of-moon). I apologize for the noise even
> though, given at least one power cycle on a F16 and XP machines, it was still
> giving me the error. I can only mumble "Windows ..." under my breath and continue
> working on F16

Yes, at least you've been able to verify for yourself that problem lies on the cygwin
box. Otherwise, you may have succumbed to the "I made changes so the problem must be
here" syndrome.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Paul Allen Newell