Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Smagin Vladimir

Default how to clean /tmp at shutdown?

Hi all. I found that my fedora 16 doesnt clean /tmp at shutdown like any other linux distributions. How I can fix this issue? Using tmpfs is a wrong way.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 20.05.2012 17:37, schrieb Smagin Vladimir:
> Hi all. I found that my fedora 16 doesnt clean /tmp at shutdown like any other linux distributions. How I can fix this issue? Using tmpfs is a wrong way.

Fedora handles this with "tmpwatch" and a too large default
you can create your own file with oerrides

no reason to remove ALL from /tmp while shutdown
why do you bother about?

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch-rh
#! /bin/sh

flags=-umc
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" -x /tmp/.X11-unix -x /tmp/.XIM-unix -x /tmp/.font-unix -x /tmp/.ICE-unix -x
/tmp/.Test-unix -X '/tmp/hsperfdata_*' 2d /tmp
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" 2d /var/tmp
for d in /var/{cache/man,catman}/{cat?,X11R6/cat?,local/cat?}; do
if [ -d "$d" ]; then
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" -f 2d "$d"
fi
done

Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Smagin Vladimir

> Fedora handles this with "tmpwatch" and a too large default
> you can create your own file with oerrides

tmpwatch and crones also wrong way.

> no reason to remove ALL from /tmp while shutdown
> why do you bother about?

because cleaning /tmp is a normal system function.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 20.05.2012 17:45, schrieb Smagin Vladimir:
>> Fedora handles this with "tmpwatch" and a too large default
>> you can create your own file with oerrides
>
> tmpwatch and crones also wrong way.

says who?

>> no reason to remove ALL from /tmp while shutdown
>> why do you bother about?
>
> because cleaning /tmp is a normal system function

what is your PROBLEM?

i am really a pedant in conext of very clean systems
but some files in /tmp are uninteresting
you do not see the, they do not harm you

so what is the problem you like to solve?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Smagin Vladimir

>>> *Fedora handles this with "tmpwatch" and a too large default
>>> *you can create your own file with oerrides
>> *tmpwatch and crones also wrong way.
>
> says who?
I am. In Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse and others no crons, tmpwatch, tmpfs and other bycicles. All clean.

>>> *no reason to remove ALL from /tmp while shutdown
>>> *why do you bother about?
>> *because cleaning /tmp is a normal system function
>
> what is your PROBLEM?
my problem is a garbage in /tmp after reboot

Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 20.05.2012 17:52, schrieb Smagin Vladimir:
>>> tmpwatch and crones also wrong way.
>>
>> says who?
> I am. In Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse and others no crons, tmpwatch, tmpfs and other bycicles. All clean.

this is not a valid argumentation

why should we have different distributions if they all
does exactly the same?

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html

Unless DefaultDependencies= is set to false, service units will implicitly have dependencies of type Requires= and
After= on basic.target as well as dependencies of type Conflicts= and Before= on shutdown.target. These ensure that
normal service units pull in basic system initialization, and are terminated cleanly prior to system shutdown. Only
services involved with early boot or late system shutdown should disable this option.

>>> because cleaning /tmp is a normal system function
>>
>> what is your PROBLEM?
> my problem is a garbage in /tmp after reboot

so there is no problem
you are only searching one

Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Reindl Harald

>>> tmpwatch and crones also wrong way.
>>
>> says who?
> I am. In Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse and others no crons, tmpwatch, tmpfs and other bycicles. All clean.

BTW: google "fedora 16 execute script at shutdown" keads you to
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/32262/execute-script-automatically-at-shutdown-on-fedora-15-16

and please do not say now "on ubuntu i do not need a service to clean /tmp"
if you follow this argumentation it should lead to "install ubuntu"

Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

Smagin Vladimir <21h@blindage.org> writes:

> Hi all. I found that my fedora 16 doesnt clean /tmp at shutdown like any other linux distributions. How I can fix this issue? Using tmpfs is a wrong way.

Just put this into /sbin/halt.local and make it mode 755.

[wolfgang@arbol sbin]$ cat /sbin/halt.local
#!/bin/sh
################################################## #############################
## ##
## File: halt.local ##
## Author: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com> ##
## Created: Thu Jun 7 23:47:14 PDT 2007 ##
## Contents: wsrcc site-specific halt stuff ##
## ##
## Copyright (c) 2007 Wolfgang S. Rupprecht. ##
## All rights reserved. ##
## ##
## $Id$ ##
################################################## #############################
# wsrcc halt script

echo "WSRCC: Clearing /tmp and /var/tmp"

cd /
/bin/rm -rf /tmp/* /tmp/.??* /var/tmp/* /var/tmp/.??*
sync; sync; sync;

#
# end
#