Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Max Pyziur

Default Upgrading F14->F15 on x64 - system freezes during cleanup - followup 1

On Sat, 19 May 2012, Max Pyziur wrote:

Greeting,

I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
successfully since 2007).

However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and the
mouse became unresponsive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To self-followup:
The upgrade process went smoothly; I accepted defaults. It's a simple
upgrade, accepting the default bootloader option. When it reached the
cleanup phase of installation, the screen went black, and there was a
frozen mouse-pointer.

I rebooted my machine. It indicates that the FC15 kernel is available.

When the machine begins booting, it stops with the following:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

Pid: 1, comm: swapper Tainted G W 2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.x86_64 #
Call Trace:
panic+0x91/0x19c

and more similar items.

The keyboard Caps Lock and Scroll Lock are blinking.

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

[recycle]

Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Edward M

hen the machine begins booting, it stops with the following:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I saw this problem mentioned in the forum. Appears user solved it
with tips that were given there.