Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Max Pyziur

Default Upgrading F14->F15 on x64 - system freezes during cleanup

Greeting,

I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
successfully since 2007).

However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and the
mouse became unresponsive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 PM
David

On 5/19/2012 10:08 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greeting,
>
> I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
> successfully since 2007).
>
> However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and
> the mouse became unresponsive.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com

Max,

Why did you update from a long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 14,
to another long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 15?

--

David

Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 19.05.2012 21:11, schrieb David:
> Why did you update from a long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 14,
> to another long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 15?

are you living in the future?
i can not remember the realease announce of F17

guess: because he should not try upgrade from F14 directly to F16?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

I had similar problems going F16->F17B, but I was able to resolve it
after the first boot by running yum distro-sync (testing updates
repository disabled). I am still using the same install, and it works
very well.

I am a little puzzled as to why you are trying to upgrade to F15
though, since it will go EOL in less than 2 weeks. Why not go straight
for F16? Upgrades normally support "skipping" a release inbetween.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com> wrote:

> Greeting,
>
> I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
> successfully since 2007).
>
> However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and the
> mouse became unresponsive.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com

Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Also: did you upgrade via preupgrade or an installation disc? If the
latter, did you verify the checksum and check disc integrity before
using it?

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com> wrote:

> Greeting,
>
> I'm upgrading from F14 to F15 on an x64 system. (I've been doing so
> successfully since 2007).
>
> However, on this go-around the screen went blank during "clean-up" and the
> mouse became unresponsive.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com

Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
David

Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
David

On 5/19/2012 3:46 PM, Edward M wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 12:11 PM, David wrote:
>> Why did you update from a long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 14,
>> to another long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 15?
>
> Don't think Fedora 15 has reached EOL as of yet, until month after
> Fedora 17 is release on May 29.:
> apparently from there he can upgrade to either Fedora 16 or 17.
>
> Maintenance Schedule
>
> This translates into:
>
> * Fedora 15 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of
> Fedora 17.
> * Fedora 16 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of
> Fedora 18.
>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle

I replied to this mistype in another message in this thread.

Fedora 17 release May 22, 2012 so Fedora 15 will be EOL in one month and
three days.

Picking nits has never been one of my better traits.

--

David

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Edward M

*

**** http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle

Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Joe Zeff

Why did you update from a long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 14,
to another long time EOL release of Fedora, Fedora 15?

F15 won't reach EOL until about a month after F17 comes out. Still,
going to F16 directly would probably have been better.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Edward M