Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 AM
Armelius Cameron

Default Fedora 16 continously rebooting

Hello,
My F16 system seems to have gotten to a very strange state. It's a Dell
laptop. It started when I have the laptop unplugged, and I closed the lid.
Usually this makes it goes to sleep (i.e. suspend to RAM). This time, it
didn't seem so; the fan started to run in high speed, and after a while I re-
opened the lid and tried to wake up the machine without success. It was
unresponsive. I then decided to hard-kill it by pressing the power button for
several seconds.

This is where the strangeness started. I was able to boot it back, but then it
keeps rebooting after the boot process is done. It would get to the state
where I need to log in, and within several second, it would reboot itself.
This happens over and over.

I tried running it in single mode, it stills rebooting itself. "emergency"
mode stopped it from this reboot cycle, but as soon as I changed runlevel with
systemctl, it would reboot after it finishes loading the new runlevel.

I tried running linux rescue with F16 boot disk, chroot to the installation
root, updated the system, and reboot. And this continuous rebooting happens
again.

I even tried "upgrading" the system from F16 book disk (so, upgrade to
itself). And that doesn't solve the issue either.

I am running out of ideas. The only thing left is to completely re-install,
and I don't really want to do that right now as I have lots of stuff there
already. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AC

Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 19.05.2012, Armelius Cameron wrote:

> I am running out of ideas. The only thing left is to completely re-install,
> and I don't really want to do that right now as I have lots of stuff there
> already. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

A shot in the dark, because this solved a similar problem on an Asus
notebook some time ago: log into BIOS, choose "reset to defaults",
save it and reboot.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Alan Cox

> This is where the strangeness started. I was able to boot it back, but then it
> keeps rebooting after the boot process is done. It would get to the state
> where I need to log in, and within several second, it would reboot itself.
> This happens over and over.

First thing I would do is boot the live CD image, and then from the live
CD image mount your real file systems and make a back up of everything
important.

Also see how stable the box i running the live CD.

If it's stable running the live CD I would take a hard look at your real
disk with chkrootkit etc and see its rebooting due to a misinstalled
trojan or similar, especially if it was being reliable before. It could
also be a failed update, or a particularly unfortunate disk corruption.
Clearly also try booting older kernels off the boot menu.

If it isn't stable running the live CD you may have a hardware problem,
or some modern laptop hardware has been known to get itself into a state
where it stays hosed until power is physically lost. On some Ultrabooks
that's a nightmare as the battery isn't removable, but on most laptops
removing the battery for 10 minutes does the trick.

If it still isn't stable you may have to look for hardware faults such
as a fan failure.

Alan

Old 05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Armelius Cameron

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 08:07:20 am Alan Cox wrote:
> > This is where the strangeness started. I was able to boot it back, but
> > then it keeps rebooting after the boot process is done.
>
> First thing I would do is boot the live CD image<...>
>
> Also see how stable the box i running the live CD.
>
> If it's stable running the live CD I would take a hard look at your real
> disk with chkrootkit etc and see its rebooting due to a misinstalled
> trojan or similar, ...
> Clearly also try booting older kernels off the boot menu.
>
> If it isn't stable running the live CD you may have a hardware problem,
<...>
>, but on most laptops
> removing the battery for 10 minutes does the trick.

Hi Alan,
Thank you for the suggestions. I already have daily automated backup, so I
guess in worse case scenario I can re-install clean. It's just I have many
software and configuration I compiled myself (this is work laptop I use for
development) so it'd just be a bit of a pain to do it (and try to avoid it).

The laptop is running live CD stable. I have tried booting off all the older
kernels I have. I have tried removing the battery for several hours. All of
those without success.

The only thing I haven't checked is chkrootkit, as I think it's rather
unlikely: I'm behind firewall most of the time (at work and at home), it's
always updated, and other precautions, but I'll try to check it anyway.

Is it not possible that anything in the software somehow is causing this ?

Thanks.
AC

Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Pedro Francisco

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Armelius Cameron <armeliusc@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
> I tried running linux rescue with F16 boot disk, chroot to the installation
> root, updated the system, and reboot. And this continuous rebooting happens
> again.

Is Yum working properly? No complaining of bad database state? I was
wondering if you got yum on the middle of a critical update when you
had to force shutdown the computer.

P.S.: I'm not too confident in this theory, never the less should be
easy to check with yum and "rpm -Va" (be aware rpm -Va complains of
everything, including changed config files, so expect a verbose
output)

Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Armelius Cameron

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:00:44 am Pedro Francisco wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Armelius Cameron <armeliusc@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > (...)
> > I tried running linux rescue with F16 boot disk, chroot to the
> > installation root, updated the system, and reboot. And this continuous
> > rebooting happens again.
>
> Is Yum working properly? No complaining of bad database state? I was
> wondering if you got yum on the middle of a critical update when you
> had to force shutdown the computer.

Yes, in fact I was able to update the system by running ""linux rescue" with a
boot disk, chroot to the install root, and did "yum update" without issue to
get latest update. It's still continuously rebooting after that.

It seems to me this is too repeatable / regular to be hardware error ....

AC

Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM
"Mark C. Allman"

On Sat, 2012-05-19 at 10:55 -0400, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> On Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:00:44 am Pedro Francisco wrote:
> > On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Armelius Cameron <armeliusc@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > (...)
> > > I tried running linux rescue with F16 boot disk, chroot to the
> > > installation root, updated the system, and reboot. And this continuous
> > > rebooting happens again.
> >
> > Is Yum working properly? No complaining of bad database state? I was
> > wondering if you got yum on the middle of a critical update when you
> > had to force shutdown the computer.
>
> Yes, in fact I was able to update the system by running ""linux rescue" with a
> boot disk, chroot to the install root, and did "yum update" without issue to
> get latest update. It's still continuously rebooting after that.
>
> It seems to me this is too repeatable / regular to be hardware error ....
>
> AC

Did you try booting the system only to single-user mode (run level 1)?

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski

Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Armelius Cameron

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 08:42:07 PM Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-05-19 at 10:55 -0400, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:00:44 am Pedro Francisco wrote:

> > > Is Yum working properly? No complaining of bad database state? I was
> > > wondering if you got yum on the middle of a critical update when you
> > > had to force shutdown the computer.
> >
> > Yes, in fact I was able to update the system by running ""linux rescue"
> > with a boot disk, chroot to the install root, and did "yum update"
> > without issue to get latest update. It's still continuously rebooting
> > after that.
> >
> > It seems to me this is too repeatable / regular to be hardware error ....
> >
> > AC
>
> Did you try booting the system only to single-user mode (run level 1)?

Yes, and it would reboot within few seconds after I got the prompt. Regularly.
The only 'mode' I got it to not reboot is with 'emergency' mode.

This is about the strangest thing I've seen since I've used linux (started in
Redhat 5... )

AC

Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 20.05.2012, Armelius Cameron wrote:

> This is about the strangest thing I've seen since I've used linux (started in
> Redhat 5... )

Did you try to load the BIOS defaults? As mentioned above, I saw the
same thing before, and this was the solution. Don't ask me why, it's
totally irrational, but it WAS the solution.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan Cox

> Is it not possible that anything in the software somehow is causing this ?

It is certainly possible, however the only thing that ought to be capable
of causing an accidental reboot is the kernel (hence the 'try old kernel'
comment) or maybe the X server

[try booting "norhgb 3"]