Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

What is the exact relation between these two?
Are they likely to merge?
How do they differ?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Lawrence Graves

On 05/18/2012 10:30 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

What is the exact relation between these two?
Are they likely to merge?
How do they differ?

They are both free.:-) :-)

Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:30:59 +0200
Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:

> What is the exact relation between these two?

Openoffice was run under a very restrictive policy and many of the
developers forked it. Most folk switched to Libreoffice which has been
rapidly evolving since the split. OpenOffice then got given to Apache in
what a lot of people consider a face saving exercise.

Alan

Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Timothy Murphy

Alan Cox wrote:

> Openoffice was run under a very restrictive policy and many of the
> developers forked it. Most folk switched to Libreoffice which has been
> rapidly evolving since the split. OpenOffice then got given to Apache in
> what a lot of people consider a face saving exercise.

I guess what puzzles me is why Apache took it.
Does it have a different model in mind?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Frank Murphy

what a lot of people consider a face saving exercise.

I guess what puzzles me is why Apache took it.
Does it have a different model in mind?

Maybe Microsoft told them to?

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Greg Woods

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 22:17 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 18/05/12 20:32, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> Alan Cox wrote:
> >> OpenOffice then got given to Apache in
> >> what a lot of people consider a face saving exercise.
> >
> > I guess what puzzles me is why Apache took it.
> > Does it have a different model in mind?
> >

> Maybe Microsoft told them to?

Ha ha. I doubt it. More likely, it's because it has given Apache a lot
of publicity, especially in the open source community. I can truthfully
say that I now know a lot more about what the Apache people are really
doing than I did before the OpenOffice/LibreOffice fork.

However, I have to believe that OpenOffice is pretty much doomed at this
point. Because Apache uses a BSD-style unrestricted license, anything
the OpenOffice people come up with can be freely merged into
LibreOffice, but since Apache projects cannot use GPL-licensed code, the
reverse is not true. So it will not be too long before LibreOffice
leaves OpenOffice behind IMHO.

--Greg

Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Edward M

but since Apache projects cannot use GPL-licensed code, the
reverse is not true. So it will not be too long before LibreOffice
leaves OpenOffice behind IMHO.

I thought Apache license 2 was compatible with GPLv3. According
to wikipedia
libreoffice is license GPLv3 and openffice 3.4 is licensed Apache
license 2

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2

Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/19/2012 11:00 PM, Edward M wrote:
> On 05/19/2012 09:50 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
>> but since Apache projects cannot use GPL-licensed code, the
>> reverse is not true. So it will not be too long before LibreOffice
>> leaves OpenOffice behind IMHO.
>
> I thought Apache license 2 was compatible with GPLv3.

That's true however Apache foundation does not use any other license
other than Apache and GPLv3 compatibility with Apache v2 is one way only
since GPL is a reciprocal license and Apache is a permissive license.

Rahul

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Edward M

but since Apache projects cannot use GPL-licensed code, the
reverse is not true. So it will not be too long before LibreOffice
leaves OpenOffice behind IMHO.

I thought Apache license 2 was compatible with GPLv3. According
to wikipedia
libreoffice is license GPLv3 and openffice 3.4 is licensed
Apache license 2

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2

sorry, my bad:-[
did not see libreoffice is license LGPLv3. not sure of its
compatibility between the two licenses then.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Gordon Messmer

So it will not be too long before LibreOffice
leaves OpenOffice behind IMHO.

It probably already has:
http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2012-04-26-ooo-comparison.html