Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Zoltan Boszormenyi

Default How to setup PPTP manually?

Hi,

I need to configure a VPN connection to a PPTP server
without NetworkManager.

The reason: I had to configure my network in a way so there's
a bridge interface so a KVM/QEMU guest can get its IP address
via DHCP from my router and this way VNC can be NAT-ed
from the router to go directly to the KVM guest.

The ethernet and bridge interfaces are now outside of the
NetworkManager realm (NM_CONTROLLED=no in ifcfg-* files)
and the PPTP VPN configured by NetworkManager is greyed out
and cannot be started.

Can someone help me with manual PPTP configuration?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:29:06 +0200
Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:

> Can someone help me with manual PPTP configuration?

Start with:

yum install pptp pptp-setup

That gets you the pptpsetup command (and a man page)
which allows you to configure the pptp connection
info. But actually connecting is a bit tricky to do
manually. You need to manually add routing rules
and fix resolv.conf to point to a server that
knows the names of the remote systems
(at least I need to with the pptp server I connect
to). Here's the script I use (which you'll need to
modify for the network you connect to):

#!/bin/bash
#
# Bring up the ccur VPN connection
#
remoteip=`ifconfig ppp0 | fgrep 'P-t-P:' | sed -e 's/^.* P-t-P://' -e 's/ Mask:.*$//'`
if [ -z "$remoteip" ]
then
pppd call ccur updetach
remoteip=`ifconfig ppp0 | fgrep 'P-t-P:' | sed -e 's/^.* P-t-P://' -e 's/ Mask:.*$//'`
if [ -n "$remoteip" ]
then
route add -net 10.134.30.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw $remoteip
route add -net 10.134.60.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw $remoteip
route add -net 129.75.24.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw $remoteip
cp -f /etc/resolv.conf.ccur /etc/resolv.conf
else
echo AAUGH CCUR-VPN-UP FAILURE
fi
fi