Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
John Horne

Default KVM - how to re-install images

Hello,

Next week (hopefully) F17 comes out, and I will be rebuilding my PC from
F15 to a fresh F17 install. This will be a completely new installation,
with the disks being reformatted. I currently have some virtual machines
on the F15 PC created with KVM, and stored on an external disk. Only the
'.img' files are stored on the external disk.

What I have been trying to find out, and seem to be failing, is how do I
re-install those virtual machines when I have rebuilt the PC?

As said, the images already exist and will be available to the F17 PC,
so things like using virsh 'dumpxml' then 'create' don't seem to work
since they are trying to create an image that already exists.

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Frank Murphy

As said, the images already exist and will be available to the F17 PC,
so things like using virsh 'dumpxml' then 'create' don't seem to work
since they are trying to create an image that already exists.

Thanks,

John.

Copy over the "/etc/libvirt/qemu/* " to external stoarage,
then copy back after update?

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"

Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:10:43 +0100
John Horne wrote:

> As said, the images already exist and will be available to the F17 PC,
> so things like using virsh 'dumpxml' then 'create' don't seem to work
> since they are trying to create an image that already exists.

Actually dumpxml and create are exactly what you want. You do the
dumpxml on your current machine and the create (using that xml file)
on the new machine (modifying the location of the image file in the
xml if it doesn't appear to be in the same place on the new machine).

The same xml files dumpxml print are stashed in /etc/libvirt/qemu,
so you can copy them over from there.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:23 PM
John Horne

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 08:28 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:10:43 +0100
> John Horne wrote:
>
> > As said, the images already exist and will be available to the F17 PC,
> > so things like using virsh 'dumpxml' then 'create' don't seem to work
> > since they are trying to create an image that already exists.
>
> Actually dumpxml and create are exactly what you want. You do the
> dumpxml on your current machine and the create (using that xml file)
> on the new machine (modifying the location of the image file in the
> xml if it doesn't appear to be in the same place on the new machine).
>
> The same xml files dumpxml print are stashed in /etc/libvirt/qemu,
> so you can copy them over from there.

Thanks for this (and Frank's reply). It was the XML file bit of info
that I was missing.

A quick bit of testing and it seems if I do 'virsh define ...' then the
VM XML file is recreated in /etc/libvirt/qemu. I can then start up the
VM with no problems.

If I do 'virsh create ...' instead, then it seems to start the VM, but
does not create a new XML file in /etc/libvirt/qemu. So once I shutdown
the VM, I cannot restart it again unless I do a 'virsh create...' again.
Using the 'virsh define' command solves this (as mentioned above).

Anyway, thanks. I'll make sure I have /etc/libvirt/qemu backed up, and
will use the 'virsh define' command to restore the definitions of the
VMs.

John.