Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Evolution indiexing error

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 08:19 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> In evolution to the left of the screen there is a list of the names of
> the folders and next to the name in parenthesis a number representing
> the number of unread messages in the folder.
>
> That is working except for Inbox. The number is not decremented when a
> message is read.
>
> I did what has worked before in this situation. I cd
> to .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox and remove the file
> Inbox.ibex.index. But when I restart evolution the error remains and the
> Inbox.ibex.index is not recreated.
>
> What can I do to fix this situation?

This has been discussed frequently on the Evolution mailing list. See
for example:
http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/The-Unread-count-bug-revisited-td2362812.html

Basically it's a bug. Recent versions of Evo are less prone than before,
but it still occurs once in a while.

Something that might help is:

#!/bin/sh

cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/
for i in `find . -name folders.db`
do
echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
done

Note that this is for Evo 3.x. Also, be sure to completely shut down Evo
before running the above ("evolution --force-shutdown").

If that doesn't work, try the Evo list, but be sure to say which version
of Evo you have (Help->Status), which you neglected to do here.

poc

Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 09:57 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 08:19 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > In evolution to the left of the screen there is a list of the names of
> > the folders and next to the name in parenthesis a number representing
> > the number of unread messages in the folder.
> >
> > That is working except for Inbox. The number is not decremented when a
> > message is read.
> >
> > I did what has worked before in this situation. I cd
> > to .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox and remove the file
> > Inbox.ibex.index. But when I restart evolution the error remains and the
> > Inbox.ibex.index is not recreated.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this situation?
>
> This has been discussed frequently on the Evolution mailing list. See
> for example:
> http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/The-Unread-count-bug-revisited-td2362812.html
>
> Basically it's a bug. Recent versions of Evo are less prone than before,
> but it still occurs once in a while.
>
> Something that might help is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/
> for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> do
> echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> done
>
> Note that this is for Evo 3.x. Also, be sure to completely shut down Evo
> before running the above ("evolution --force-shutdown").
>
> If that doesn't work, try the Evo list, but be sure to say which version
> of Evo you have (Help->Status), which you neglected to do here.
>
> poc

It is Evolution 3.2.3. Your solution does not work neither do the other
solutions proposed on that web site.

Now what can I do?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 10:31 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 09:57 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 08:19 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > In evolution to the left of the screen there is a list of the names of
> > > the folders and next to the name in parenthesis a number representing
> > > the number of unread messages in the folder.
> > >
> > > That is working except for Inbox. The number is not decremented when a
> > > message is read.
> > >
> > > I did what has worked before in this situation. I cd
> > > to .local/share/evolution/mail/local_mbox and remove the file
> > > Inbox.ibex.index. But when I restart evolution the error remains and the
> > > Inbox.ibex.index is not recreated.
> > >
> > > What can I do to fix this situation?
> >
> > This has been discussed frequently on the Evolution mailing list. See
> > for example:
> > http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/The-Unread-count-bug-revisited-td2362812.html
> >
> > Basically it's a bug. Recent versions of Evo are less prone than before,
> > but it still occurs once in a while.
> >
> > Something that might help is:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > cd ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/
> > for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> > do
> > echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> > sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> > done
> >
> > Note that this is for Evo 3.x. Also, be sure to completely shut down Evo
> > before running the above ("evolution --force-shutdown").
> >
> > If that doesn't work, try the Evo list, but be sure to say which version
> > of Evo you have (Help->Status), which you neglected to do here.
> >
> > poc
> >

> It is Evolution 3.2.3. Your solution does not work neither do the other
> solutions proposed on that web site.
>
> Now what can I do?

Like I said, try the Evolution list
(http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list)