Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default Restarting services

F16

After a recent yum update, "needs-restarting" says that colord should be
restarted. OK, let's see:

1) pstree says that colord's parent is systemd
2) "systemctl list-units" doesn't mention colord
3) There is no man page for colord
4) The colord docs ("rpm -qd colord") don't say anything about using
signals to restart, or indeed anything about restarting.
5) There is no mention of colord in any file under /etc

Obviously I could log out and in again, but I'm interested in exploring
just how one is supposed to find this kind of information in the general
case -- not just for colord --other than asking the list or reading the
source code.

Thoughts?

poc

Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 16.05.2012 14:18, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> F16
>
> After a recent yum update, "needs-restarting" says that colord should be
> restarted. OK, let's see:
>
> 1) pstree says that colord's parent is systemd
> 2) "systemctl list-units" doesn't mention colord

it does and "systemctl restart colord.service" works
like for any other service

[root@rh:~]$ /bin/systemctl --no-pager --full list-units | grep colord
colord-sane.service
loaded active running Daemon for monitoring attached scanners and registering them with colord
colord.service
loaded active running Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles
_________________________________

[root@rh:~]$ systemctl status colord.service
colord.service - Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/colord.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed, 16 May 2012 14:25:34 +0200; 15s ago
Main PID: 12862 (colord)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/colord.service
└ 12862 /usr/libexec/colord

[root@rh:~]$ systemctl restart colord.service

[root@rh:~]$ systemctl status colord.service
colord.service - Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/colord.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed, 16 May 2012 14:25:57 +0200; 1s ago
Main PID: 12884 (colord)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/colord.service
└ 12884 /usr/libexec/colord

Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> 2) "systemctl list-units" doesn't mention colord

it does and "systemctl restart colord.service" works

like for any other service

[root@rh:~]$ /bin/systemctl --no-pager --full list-units | grep colord

colord-sane.service

loaded active running * * * Daemon for monitoring attached scanners and registering them with colord

colord.service

loaded active running * * * Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles

This is what I get:

[poc@bree:~] /bin/systemctl --no-pager --full list-units | grep colord
[poc@bree:~]

However the process exists:

[poc@bree:~] pgrep -fl colord
2214 /usr/libexec/colord

Although it appears to be dead:

[poc@bree:~] systemctl status colord.service
colord.service - Daemon for managing, installing and generating color profiles
*** * Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/colord.service; disabled)

*** * Active: inactive (dead)
*** * CGroup: name=systemd:/system/colord.service

Note that this after logging out and in again.

So now the questions now are:

1) How do I find out about a service managed by systemd independantly of whether it is currently running or not?

2) Why does systemd say the service is inactive if the process is running? (note that I was able to restart it using systemctl and now it does appear as active).

poc