Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 AM
"Edwin Tan"

Default WiFi - Wireless-G and Wireless-N adapters support in Fedora 9

hi all,
Since Fedora 9 is coming out soon next month. I
would like to know
the drivers support for the WiFi adapters, will
Fedora include the
drivers in their OS or rely on the 3rd party
contributors? By the way,
found the .run installer from ATI is pretty neat.
Will all the drivers
come this way?
*
thanks
*
regards,
Edwin Tan,
Technical Support
Manager

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 08:19 +0800, Edwin Tan wrote:
> hi all,
> Since Fedora 9 is coming out soon next month. I would like to
> know
> the drivers support for the WiFi adapters, will Fedora include
> the
> drivers in their OS or rely on the 3rd party contributors? By
> the way,
> found the .run installer from ATI is pretty neat. Will all the
> drivers
> come this way?

Why are you replying to your own message if you're not going to add
anything? Sending the same question twice within a few hours is not
going to win you any friends.

If by any chance you aren't sure if your question has reached the list,
you can always check the archives at
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list before repeating it.

poc

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Kevin Kofler

Edwin Tan <edwintan <at> creativedesigner.biz> writes:
> Since Fedora 9 is coming out soon next month. I would like to know
> the drivers support for the WiFi adapters, will Fedora include the
> drivers in their OS or rely on the 3rd party contributors?

Wireless drivers are included if and only if they are Free Software (freely
redistributable and modifiable). Firmware is included if and only if it's
freely redistributable.

Usually, drivers also have to be either included in the upstream kernel already
or about to be included to be shipped in Fedora, but in the case of the
wireless drivers, there was a lot of movement upstream to get drivers merged
lately, so there shouldn't be any acceptably-licensed drivers left which aren't
included.

Also note that Fedora always ships the very latest wireless drivers from the
wireless driver development tree.

> By the way, found the .run installer from ATI is pretty neat.
> Will all the drivers come this way?

No. Drivers within Fedora never come in a .run, and for third-party drivers
RPMs are preferred, see:
http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/3rd-pty-video

Kevin Kofler