Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Bruno Martins

Default Execution of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

On 05/15/2012 10:13 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Recently (who can track all those new kernels?) I've noticed that
> the commands in rc.local are not running, from which I conclude
> that it's not being executed. systemctl says: "rc-local.service
> (loaded active running)"
>
> Any ideas.

If you can, please show us your /etc/rc.d/rc.local contents and file
permissions. But that's weird, because I think usually it would give
an error on starting up.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 05/15/2012 03:23:03 PM, Bruno Martins wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 10:13 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > Recently (who can track all those new kernels?) I've noticed that
> > the commands in rc.local are not running, from which I conclude
> > that it's not being executed. systemctl says: "rc-local.service
> > (loaded active running)"
> >
> > Any ideas.
>
> If you can, please show us your /etc/rc.d/rc.local contents and file
> permissions. But that's weird, because I think usually it would give
> an error on starting up.

root@puget[10]->cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#! /bin/sh

# Run by /lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service

/usr/local/bin/check_running &
systemctl restart nfs-lock.service
systemctl restart nfs-idmap.service
systemctl restart nfs-server.service
/usr/bin/synclient TouchpadOff=1

exit 0

root@puget[11]->ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 239 May 14 21:16 /etc/rc.d/rc.local*

Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:52:08 -0700
Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:

> root@puget[10]->cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> #! /bin/sh

^ you have a " " here that shouldn't be there.

Should be simply: "#!/bin/sh"

kevin

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Ed Greshko

On 05/17/2012 12:14 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:52:08 -0700
> Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
>
>> root@puget[10]->cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>> #! /bin/sh
> ^ you have a " " here that shouldn't be there.
>
> Should be simply: "#!/bin/sh"

That was my theory too.... But I like to test my theories.... So I created an
rc.local file with the following contents...

#! /bin/sh -e

#exit 0

touch /tmp/XXXX

and it worked just fine....

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 05/16/2012 09:14:11 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:52:08 -0700
> Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
>
> > root@puget[10]->cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> > #! /bin/sh
>
> ^ you have a " " here that shouldn't be there.
>
> Should be simply: "#!/bin/sh"

Blush! The # is where it should be. Just a copy error.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 16.05.2012, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> ^ you have a " " here that shouldn't be there.
> Should be simply: "#!/bin/sh"

This is not true, you can hav as many blanks as you like.
Try it.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 16 May 2012 21:23:39 +0200
Heinz Diehl wrote:

> This is not true, you can hav as many blanks as you like.
> Try it.

Not as many as you like - I think the exec() service looks
only at about the first 32 characters or something like that.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:50:14 -0400
Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2012 21:23:39 +0200
> Heinz Diehl wrote:
>
> > This is not true, you can hav as many blanks as you like.
> > Try it.
>
> Not as many as you like - I think the exec() service looks
> only at about the first 32 characters or something like that.

I stand corrected.

So, why are you restarting nfs services there?

The synclient won't work as rc.local has no connection to your DISPLAY
to make changes.

How else are you seeing that commands there aren't running?

kevin

Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 05/16/2012 03:15:24 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:50:14 -0400
> Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 May 2012 21:23:39 +0200
> > Heinz Diehl wrote:
> >
> > > This is not true, you can hav as many blanks as you like.
> > > Try it.
> >
> > Not as many as you like - I think the exec() service looks
> > only at about the first 32 characters or something like that.
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> So, why are you restarting nfs services there?
>
> The synclient won't work as rc.local has no connection to your
> DISPLAY
> to make changes.
>
> How else are you seeing that commands there aren't running?

Thanks for the tip on synclient

Restarting nfs services is being done because that was necessary in
order to get a connection from the client. Admittedly that was several
kernels ago :-)

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 16 May 2012 15:43:46 -0700
Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip on synclient
>
> Restarting nfs services is being done because that was necessary in
> order to get a connection from the client. Admittedly that was
> several kernels ago :-)

Yeah, that seems odd. I'd just let systemd start them and then if
something is not working, track that down and fix it.

kevin