Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Steven Stern

Default Connecting to a Zeroconfig/Avahi printer

I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
giving the printer a fixed IP address?

--
-- Steve

Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 14.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Steven Stern:
> I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
> to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
> devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
> Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
> giving the printer a fixed IP address?

http://localhost:631/

CUPS does find network-printers via avahi

Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:25:47PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Steven Stern:
> > I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
> > to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
> > devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
> > Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
> > giving the printer a fixed IP address?
>

> http://localhost:631/
>
> CUPS does find network-printers via avahi

Ensure that your Fedora client system's firewall has port 5353/udp
(mDNS) and 631/udp (IPP client) open, and things should generally Just
Work(tm).

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 15.05.2012 15:57, schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:25:47PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 14.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Steven Stern:
>>> I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
>>> to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
>>> devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
>>> Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
>>> giving the printer a fixed IP address?
>>

>> http://localhost:631/
>>
>> CUPS does find network-printers via avahi
>
> Ensure that your Fedora client system's firewall has port 5353/udp
> (mDNS) and 631/udp (IPP client) open, and things should generally Just
> Work(tm)

5353 is enough

[root@rh:~]$ firewall_status | grep 361
[root@rh:~]$

[root@rh:~]$ firewall_status | grep 5353
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 10.0.0.0/24 0.0.0.0/0 multiport dports
25,143,443,465,587,993,2000,137,138,139,445,5353 state NEW tcpflags: 0x17/0x02
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 10.0.0.107 0.0.0.0/0 multiport dports
25,143,443,465,587,993,2000,137,138,139,445,5353 state NEW tcpflags: 0x17/0x02
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 192.168.2.0/24 0.0.0.0/0 tcp spts:1024:65535
dpt:5353flags: 0x17/0x02 state NEW
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 10.0.0.0/24 0.0.0.0/0 tcp spts:1024:65535
dpt:5353flags: 0x17/0x02 state NEW
0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 192.168.2.0/24 0.0.0.0/0 udp spts:1024:65535
dpt:5353 state NEW
9406 1411K ACCEPT udp -- * * 10.0.0.0/24 0.0.0.0/0 udp spts:1024:65535
dpt:5353 state NEW
[root@rh:~]$

Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/14/2012 04:25 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Steven Stern:
>> I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
>> to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
>> devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
>> Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
>> giving the printer a fixed IP address?
>

> http://localhost:631/
>
> CUPS does find network-printers via avahi

It does! I was looking under "find new printers" and didn't see it. It
is under ADD PRINTERS -> DISCOVERED NETWORK PRINTERS.

Cool!

--
-- Steve

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/15/2012 08:57 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:25:47PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 14.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Steven Stern:
>>> I have a really nice HP printer that's currently connected via USB cable
>>> to this system. I need to move it out of cable range. My OS/X and iOS
>>> devices are able to find it and print to it using the magic of Bonjour.
>>> Is there a way for Fedora to use it via Avahi, rather than ipp and
>>> giving the printer a fixed IP address?
>>

>> http://localhost:631/
>>
>> CUPS does find network-printers via avahi
>
> Ensure that your Fedora client system's firewall has port 5353/udp
> (mDNS) and 631/udp (IPP client) open, and things should generally Just
> Work(tm).

It seems to be more than 5353 and 631. With the iptables service
running, I don't see the printer in CUPS. If I stop the iptables
service, I do. What's missing here?

ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT ah -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT esp -- anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:isakmp
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 224.0.0.251 state NEW
udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:db-lsp
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:db-lsp
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:rfe
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:rfe
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:51413
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
udp dpt:51413
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:mdns
REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere
reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

--
-- Steve

Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Rick Stevens

On 05/15/2012 07:24 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

[...]

HP often uses "jetdirect" (TCP port 9100), so make sure that's
permitted in your firewall as well.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/15/2012 11:07 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 07:24 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

>>> Ensure that your Fedora client system's firewall has port 5353/udp
>>> (mDNS) and 631/udp (IPP client) open, and things should generally Just
>>> Work(tm).
>>>

>> It seems to be more than 5353 and 631. With the iptables service
>> running, I don't see the printer in CUPS. If I stop the iptables
>> service, I do. What's missing here?
>>

>> ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state
>> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
>> ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
>> ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
>> ACCEPT ah -- anywhere anywhere
>> ACCEPT esp -- anywhere anywhere
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:isakmp
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 224.0.0.251 state NEW
>> udp dpt:mdns
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:ipp
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:ipp
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:ipp
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:netbios-ns
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:netbios-dgm
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:ssh
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:db-lsp
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:db-lsp
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:rfe
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:rfe
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:51413
>> ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> udp dpt:51413
>> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
>> tcp dpt:mdns
>> REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere
>> reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>
> HP often uses "jetdirect" (TCP port 9100), so make sure that's
> permitted in your firewall as well.

With the firewall disabled, avahi-discover -a shows the printer. With it
enabled, it doesn't.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Rick Stevens

On 05/15/2012 09:53 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

[...]

When you see it, does it show up as "JetDirect" or IPP? Did you open
TCP port 9100 in your firewall?

The rule would (in /etc/sysconfig/iptables) would look like:

-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 9100 -j ACCEPT

and "iptables -L" would look like:

ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
tcp dpt:jetdirect

Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/15/2012 12:13 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 09:53 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

>>> HP often uses "jetdirect" (TCP port 9100), so make sure that's
>>> permitted in your firewall as well.
>>
>> With the firewall disabled, avahi-discover -a shows the printer. With it
>> enabled, it doesn't.
>
> When you see it, does it show up as "JetDirect" or IPP? Did you open
> TCP port 9100 in your firewall?
>
> The rule would (in /etc/sysconfig/iptables) would look like:
>
> -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 9100 -j ACCEPT
>
> and "iptables -L" would look like:
>
> ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW
> tcp dpt:jetdirect

Yes, but Jet Direct isn't the issue. It's Avahi, and I'm using
avahi-discover to look for the printer. It seems that 5353 udp&tcp
aren't enough.

--
-- Steve