Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Jim

Default Config a Network Printer

F15, KDE. How do you config a Network Printer as a Static IP connection.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Ed Greshko

On 05/14/2012 08:49 AM, Jim wrote:
> F15, KDE. How do you config a Network Printer as a Static IP connection.

Well...... Since I've got an HP printer I simply installed hplip and used its
configuration tools.

I've also used http://localhost:631/ "Administration" "Add Printer".

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 20:49 -0400, Jim wrote:
> F15, KDE. How do you config a Network Printer as a Static IP connection.

Not enough information...

What printer?

Is the printer, itself, on the network? You'll need to, either,
configure the printer to be at a certain address; or, configure a DHCP
server to always give your printer the same address. I do the latter
with an old HP LaserJet 4M plus, and it works well for me. Albeit that
it's slower to print than when a computer is directly connected to its
parallel port.

Or is it connected through a computer, and that computer shares it on
the LAN? In this case, you'd configure that computer to be at a certain
address, and to share out its printer. I've done this, as well, before
I got my hands on a printer with an ethernet card fitted in it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Jim

F15, KDE. How do you config a Network Printer as a Static IP connection.

Not enough information...

What printer?

Is the printer, itself, on the network? You'll need to, either,
configure the printer to be at a certain address; or, configure a DHCP
server to always give your printer the same address. I do the latter
with an old HP LaserJet 4M plus, and it works well for me. Albeit that
it's slower to print than when a computer is directly connected to its
parallel port.

Or is it connected through a computer, and that computer shares it on
the LAN? In this case, you'd configure that computer to be at a certain
address, and to share out its printer. I've done this, as well, before
I got my hands on a printer with an ethernet card fitted in it.

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Joe Zeff

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.

Have you checked with Samsung? You may have to set the IP in the
printer so that it knows not to use DHCP.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Ed Greshko

On 05/15/2012 12:25 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/14/2012 09:10 AM, Jim wrote:
>> I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
>> everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
>> I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
>> I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.
>
> Have you checked with Samsung? You may have to set the IP in the printer so that
> it knows not to use DHCP.

Of course the other alternative is to "reserve" the IP address in the router for the
MAC address of the printer.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Jim

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.

Have you checked with Samsung? You may have to set the IP in the
printer so that it knows not to use DHCP.
I do set the IP lpd://192.168.1.103/ but router changes IP in router
when you turn printer on.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Jim

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.

Have you checked with Samsung? You may have to set the IP in the printer so that
it knows not to use DHCP.

Of course the other alternative is to "reserve" the IP address in the router for the
MAC address of the printer.

Ed , I tried the http://localhost:631/ and I restarted the computer and
printer and in systyem-config-printer I get error: Stopped -
Destination printer does not exist!

I will try setting IP to Mac in router.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Jim

I have a Samsung CLX3175FN and I have it connected as a DHCP printer but
everytime you turn off Printer it changes the IP address in router, then
I have to go into system-config-printer to change IP. that is the reason
I want to set printer up as a Static Connection.

Have you checked with Samsung? You may have to set the IP in the printer so that
it knows not to use DHCP.

Of course the other alternative is to "reserve" the IP address in the router for the
MAC address of the printer.

My router is a SMCWBR1S-N4 and and the setting was in the Firewall section
MAC/IP/PORT Filtering (I Guess !)

Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Dale Dellutri

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> F15, KDE. *How do you config a Network Printer as a Static IP connection.

On page 25 of your printer's user manual, it shows how to
set a static IP address in the printer from the front panel.
Make sure you use an address that is in your network
and that does not overlap the router's DHCP pool.

--
Dale Dellutri