Old 05-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Dave Cross

Default Random Frequent Session Crashed

For about the last month I've been getting random frequent session
crashes. They take one of three forms:

* The PC reboots
* The GNOME session freezes
* The GNOME session dies and I'm presented with the GNOME login screen

All of these results are, of course, really annoying.

I can usually run for two or three hours without this happening, but
sometimes it can happen every fifteen minutes or so.

Whenever it happens, /var/log/messages contains this:

May 13 16:45:24 xander gnome-session[3681]: Gdk-WARNING:
gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on
X server :0.#012
May 13 16:45:24 xander systemd-logind[958]: Removed session 6.

I'm running Fedora 16, 32 bit PAE, with the NVidia drivers from RPM Fusion.

I'm sure that this isn't enough information to help me, but if you
could tell me what other information would be useful, I'm happy to
provide it.

Thanks,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

[...]

I was
having a similar problem that turned out to be a memory
stability problem that was fixed

by changing a BIOS setting. Hopefully your motherboard manual
will explain which memory

settings can provide better memory stability.

HTH

cpp4ever

Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Dave Cross

On 13 May 2012 17:02, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930
<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2012 04:55 PM, Dave Cross wrote:
>
> For about the last month I've been getting random frequent session
> crashes. They take one of three forms:
>
> * The PC reboots
> * The GNOME session freezes
> * The GNOME session dies and I'm presented with the GNOME login screen
>
> All of these results are, of course, really annoying.
>
> I can usually run for two or three hours without this happening, but
> sometimes it can happen every fifteen minutes or so.
>
> Whenever it happens, /var/log/messages contains this:
>
> May 13 16:45:24 xander gnome-session[3681]: Gdk-WARNING:
> gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on
> X server :0.#012
> May 13 16:45:24 xander systemd-logind[958]: Removed session 6.
>
> I'm running Fedora 16, 32 bit PAE, with the NVidia drivers from RPM Fusion.
>
> I'm sure that this isn't enough information to help me, but if you
> could tell me what other information would be useful, I'm happy to
> provide it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave...
>
> I was having a similar problem that turned out to be a memory stability
> problem that was fixed
> by changing a BIOS setting. Hopefully your motherboard manual will explain
> which memory
> settings can provide better memory stability.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look as the system rebooted last
night and it appears that my BIOS doesn't have any setting for memory
stability.

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Tim

For random crashes, look into things like:

A buggy screensaver, particularly if you're set up to randomly swap
between different screen savers.

The CPU cooling is working properly (fans not spinning, or blocked
vents). Likewise for graphics card fans, power supply fans, and other
case fans.

Check that the PSU isn't dying. Granted that's a bit hard to do if
you're not into electronics, or don't have another supply to play
swapsies with. But, you can often boot up into the BIOS, and find a
screen showing what voltages the power supply is feeding to the
motherboard. Small fractional differences aren't too much of a problem,
such as a 5 volt supply actually being 4.95 volts. But if you see 4.9,
or worse, instead, then that's probably cause to be concerned. Likewise
for over-voltage.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686