Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Max Pyziur

Default Upgrade F15->F16 Dell Inspiron 600m from DVD: no dialog box - Fresh Installation or Upgrade - Followup #1

On Sat, 12 May 2012, David wrote:

On 5/12/2012 5:25 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:

On 12/05/12 21:44, Max Pyziur wrote:

Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an
upgrade process on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.

It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.

However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select
time, keyboard, language), then Basic Storage devices, hostname,
root password, I'm given a choice to: Use All Space Replace
Existing Linux Shrink Current System Use Free Space Create
Custom Layout

Each one of these indicates that "this option will remove date
from the selected devices. Make sure you have backups"

What happened to "Upgrade an existing system" as seen on this
Fedora 16 documentation page:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html

Plus all of the other choices: "Use LVM" (I assume that I don't
need this for a basic laptop) "Encrypt system" (suggestions?)
"Review and modify partitioning layout" (definitely, before
everything gets possibly wiped)

And I have done a full data backup.

I personally upgraded from 15 -> 16 using preupgrade & it worked
flawlessly apart from it hung for about twenty minutes at the
selinux-policy stage but it eventually carried on & in the end I
had a F16 system with everything working fine.

Much thanks for the quick replies.

In order to expite the upgrade, is it possible to use rpms from the
F16 DVD rather than download them? That way there could be some possible
time savings.

Much thanks again,

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

It has been my observation in that past that the users that problems
upgrading and 3rd party repos and packages. Those are 'not there' for
the update and the Fedora updates gets 'stuck' trying to figure out
what to do with what.

I may be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

- --

David

Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 13.05.2012 00:01, schrieb Max Pyziur:
> In order to expite the upgrade, is it possible to use rpms from the F16 DVD rather than
> download them? That way there could be some possible time savings.

if you do not want to download the packages and
have the DVD why are you simpply update with booting
from the DVD?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Max Pyziur

In order to expite the upgrade, is it possible to use rpms from the F16 DVD rather than
download them? That way there could be some possible time savings.

if you do not want to download the packages and
have the DVD why are you simpply update with booting
from the DVD?

Because when I start the update process from the DVD, it goes straight
into an install process, indicating that it is going to delete all
data on existing partitions.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Martín Marqués

2012/5/12 Max Pyziur <pyz@brama.com>:

> Because when I start the update process from the DVD, it goes straight into
> an install process, indicating that it is going to delete all data on
> existing partitions.

Data will not be erased unless partitions get formated.

What information are you worried about?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador