Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
David

Default Upgrade F15->F16 Dell Inspiron 600m from DVD: no dialog box - Fresh Installation or Upgrade

On 5/12/2012 5:25 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 12/05/12 21:44, Max Pyziur wrote:
>
>> Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an
>> upgrade process on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.
>
>> It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.
>
>> However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select
>> time, keyboard, language), then Basic Storage devices, hostname,
>> root password, I'm given a choice to: Use All Space Replace
>> Existing Linux Shrink Current System Use Free Space Create
>> Custom Layout
>
>> Each one of these indicates that "this option will remove date
>> from the selected devices. Make sure you have backups"
>
>> What happened to "Upgrade an existing system" as seen on this
>> Fedora 16 documentation page:
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html
>

>> Plus all of the other choices: "Use LVM" (I assume that I don't
>> need this for a basic laptop) "Encrypt system" (suggestions?)
>> "Review and modify partitioning layout" (definitely, before
>> everything gets possibly wiped)
>
>> And I have done a full data backup.
>

> I personally upgraded from 15 -> 16 using preupgrade & it worked
> flawlessly apart from it hung for about twenty minutes at the
> selinux-policy stage but it eventually carried on & in the end I
> had a F16 system with everything working fine.

It has been my observation in that past that the users that problems
upgrading and 3rd party repos and packages. Those are 'not there' for
the update and the Fedora updates gets 'stuck' trying to figure out
what to do with what.

I may be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

- --

David

Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Max Pyziur writes:

Greetings,

Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an upgrade process
on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.

It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.

However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select time, keyboard,
language), then Basic Storage devices,

hostname, root password, I'm given a choice to:
Use All Space
Replace Existing Linux
Shrink Current System
Use Free Space
Create Custom Layout

As I dimly recall the installer's UI, the next step after the basic storage
device drivers get loaded is the prompt to upgrade the existing system, if
one is found, or a new install.

If you're getting to the point where it's asking you for hostname and the
root password, you've taken the wrong fork in the road. Those won't be
prompted for, when taking the upgrade path.

The prompt to upgrade or install can be confusing. Rerun the installer, and
take it slowly, taking note of every option on the screen that you see, and
don't take the obvious one, without considering everything else that's on
there.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Max Pyziur

[...]

I think the problem is that there isn't enough space in the /boot partion.

I tried doing both a DVD upgrade and running preupgrade.

preupgrade returned the message that there was not enough space to copy
initrd.img to /boot

Since this is an older Dell laptop (2005? vintage) I allocated about
100MBs when partitioning for /boot.

In trying to complete this upgrade I've removed all kernels except for the
most recent one in order to free up space. That still doesn't give me
enough.

There are other "tricks" described on Fedora Project's Wiki for
freeing/finding space in order to do the upgrade.

My question is it better to just repartion a few partions (adding a little
more to /usr; removing a little from /usr)? Or just to go out and buy
another cheap Dell rebuilt laptop.

This current one is a bit of a workhorse (even though it's CPU/HD/Video
profile is approaching looking as though it is from the dark ages).

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Max Pyziur writes:

Since this is an older Dell laptop (2005? vintage) I allocated about 100MBs
when partitioning for /boot.

In trying to complete this upgrade I've removed all kernels except for the
most recent one in order to free up space. That still doesn't give me enough.

There are other "tricks" described on Fedora Project's Wiki for
freeing/finding space in order to do the upgrade.

My question is it better to just repartion a few partions (adding a little
more to /usr; removing a little from /usr)? Or just to go out and buy
another cheap Dell rebuilt laptop.

Repartitioning this one would be a bit of a bear. It's going to be faster to
start over from scratch.

But if this laptop works for you, why buy another one, just back up your
stuff and do a fresh install. No need to get another laptop, just because
you can't fiddle the partitions.