FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Sam Varshavchik
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Everything on my laptop's screen is too small.

I calculated that my DPI is 140, not the default 96.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Better_DPI does not tell me anything
that's useful.


Remote X clients, from an ssh-tunnelled connection, don't give a hoot about
my desktop's usability settings.


There should be an easy way I can tell Xorg what my real DPI is, so
everything looks sane.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:49:49 -0400
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> There should be an easy way I can tell Xorg what my real DPI is, so
> everything looks sane.

Welcome to the twilight zone:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=451562

The simplest fix is to switch to KDM for your login manager and
add the -dpi 140 option to the X server args.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Sam Varshavchik
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Tom Horsley writes:


On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:49:49 -0400
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> There should be an easy way I can tell Xorg what my real DPI is, so
> everything looks sane.

Welcome to the twilight zone:


Google already showed me the way.


https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=451562

The simplest fix is to switch to KDM for your login manager and
add the -dpi 140 option to the X server args.


Really, Gnome upstream is doing their best to encourage everyone to flush
their crap down the toilet, and switch to something else.


Thanks for confirming that my Google skills have NOT deterioriated.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

On 05/12/2012 12:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Really, Gnome upstream is doing their best to encourage everyone to
flush their crap down the toilet, and switch to something else.


I wouldn't go that far, but only because I don't think the Gnome devs
are even aware of how many people they're antagonizing by their "my way
or the highway" attitude and their utter indifference to what anybody
who isn't an active Gnome dev thinks or wants.


Remember, "Never attribute to malice anything that can adequately be
explained by stupidity." In this case, of course, I'd define stupidity
as being a complete unwillingness to take the needs of their current
userbase into account.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Sam Varshavchik
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Joe Zeff writes:


On 05/12/2012 12:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Really, Gnome upstream is doing their best to encourage everyone to
flush their crap down the toilet, and switch to something else.


I wouldn't go that far, but only because I don't think the Gnome devs are
even aware of how many people they're antagonizing by their "my way or the
highway" attitude and their utter indifference to what anybody who isn't an
active Gnome dev thinks or wants.


Remember, "Never attribute to malice anything that can adequately be
explained by stupidity." In this case, of course, I'd define stupidity as
being a complete unwillingness to take the needs of their current userbase
into account.


Whatever. What you're saying is that this is indifference or ignorance,
rather than arrogance. Whichever the case, the end result is that, according
to those bugzilla entries, this hole has been known for years.


Years.

/facepalm

The good news here, I think is that these kinds of situations tend to solve
themselves, eventually, one way or the other. It's only a matter of time. I
just need a free weekend.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

On 05/12/2012 03:27 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Whatever. What you're saying is that this is indifference or ignorance,
rather than arrogance.


Indifference and arrogance masquerading as malice.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Beartooth
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

On Sat, 12 May 2012 15:38:35 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
[....]
> Really, Gnome upstream is doing their best to encourage everyone to
> flush their crap down the toilet, and switch to something else.

The debate between the (mostly silent) elitists and the power to
the people advocates has been seesawing for at least a decade or two; has
anybody observed yet what the effect of the baby boomers retiring has
had? I recall predicting that it would be substantial, but I can't recall
seeing anything lately to tell me whether that prediction panned out --
unless precisely this issue is to be the touchstone ....

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User
I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.
Life consists of a long series of senior moments,
with occasional bursts of lucidity.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Bill Davidsen
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Joe Zeff writes:


On 05/12/2012 12:38 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Really, Gnome upstream is doing their best to encourage everyone to
flush their crap down the toilet, and switch to something else.


I wouldn't go that far, but only because I don't think the Gnome devs are even
aware of how many people they're antagonizing by their "my way or the highway"
attitude and their utter indifference to what anybody who isn't an active
Gnome dev thinks or wants.

Remember, "Never attribute to malice anything that can adequately be explained
by stupidity." In this case, of course, I'd define stupidity as being a
complete unwillingness to take the needs of their current userbase into account.


Whatever. What you're saying is that this is indifference or ignorance, rather
than arrogance. Whichever the case, the end result is that, according to those
bugzilla entries, this hole has been known for years.

Years.

/facepalm

The good news here, I think is that these kinds of situations tend to solve
themselves, eventually, one way or the other. It's only a matter of time. I just
need a free weekend.


It won't take that long to can GNOME and run something else...


--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
the machinations of the wicked." - from Slashdot
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Tim
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Sam Varshavchik:
>> /facepalm
>>
>> The good news here, I think is that these kinds of situations tend to solve
>> themselves, eventually, one way or the other. It's only a matter of time. I just
>> need a free weekend.


Bill Davidsen:
> It won't take that long to can GNOME and run something else...

It probably will take longer than a weekend to try out a few different
non-Gnome desktops, to see which you prefer, and to work out how to use
them. Particularly when you wanted Gnome 2, want to find something
close to it, and want a customised desktop rather than just go with the
defaults.

Changing desktops isn't a minor cosmetic thing, it changes quite a lot
of the operation and how you use the computer, hence the furore about
the radical stop Gnome has taken.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Bill Davidsen
 
Default How to change the display's dots per inch setting

Tim wrote:

Sam Varshavchik:

/facepalm

The good news here, I think is that these kinds of situations tend to solve
themselves, eventually, one way or the other. It's only a matter of time. I just
need a free weekend.



Bill Davidsen:

It won't take that long to can GNOME and run something else...


It probably will take longer than a weekend to try out a few different
non-Gnome desktops, to see which you prefer, and to work out how to use
them. Particularly when you wanted Gnome 2, want to find something
close to it, and want a customised desktop rather than just go with the
defaults.

Changing desktops isn't a minor cosmetic thing, it changes quite a lot
of the operation and how you use the computer, hence the furore about
the radical stop Gnome has taken.

I'm cautiously happy about cinnamon, other than the pain of knowing that that I
have to get it elsewhere and install it myself. But a weekend should be more
than enough time to try multiple WM and see which ones you can eliminate
immediately, and if you're lucky which one pleases you. The learning curve
doesn't count, because you have a learning curve for gnome-shell. It's not that
that you can ignore it, but in general it doesn't enter into the decision
between WM because it's relatively constant.


The one thing I miss most is the system monitor in the tool bar, instant
feedback at the glimpse of an eye, great for keeping an eye on servers, but
useful for desktops as well.


In any case, unless the GNOME2 port really takes off, I think we all have to
stick with it. I admit my day-to-day runs in a VM on an older release and runs
GNOME2, but I do expect to change to something else eventually. Pity they messed
up one of the best user interfaces ever.


--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
the machinations of the wicked." - from Slashdot
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org