Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Michael Schwendt

Default Annoying yum message

On Fri, 11 May 2012 16:15:03 +0100, TM (Timothy) wrote:

> When I try to update yum, I often get the following message
> (many times):
> ------------------------------
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> The other application is: yum-updatesd-he
> ------------------------------
>
> I usually just "kill -9" the other app.
> But is there any other way of dealing with this?
> Could I safely kill yum-updatesd permanently?

You could erase the yum-updatesd package. Decide for yourself.
Read up on what it does and whether you think you want it or need it.

It's not installed here by default in Fedora 17 development.

$ yum info yum-updatesd
[...]
Description : yum-updatesd provides a daemon which checks for available updates
: and can notify you when they are available via email, syslog or
: dbus.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.14 0.11 0.07

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Frank Murphy

When I try to update yum, I often get the following message
(many times):
------------------------------
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
The other application is: yum-updatesd-he

I usually just "kill -9" the other app.
But is there any other way of dealing with this?
Could I safely kill yum-updatesd permanently?

(yum-updatesd is a service that checks for updates.)

systemctl disable yum-updatesd.service
will disable the service.

Frank
"Jack of all, fubars"