Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
patrick korsnick

Default volume levels

On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values higher than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a laptop that is very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin and having the vol cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been able to get comfortable with G3, so my question is has anyone figured out how to get this overboosted volume on another DE spin?

Thanksp

Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Joe Zeff

On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values
higher than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a
laptop that is very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin
and having the vol cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been
able to get comfortable with G3, so my question is has anyone figured
out how to get this overboosted volume on another DE spin?

Are you the only person who finds it hard to hear, or do other people
have the same problem?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/10/2012 03:53 PM, patrick korsnick wrote:
> On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values
> higher than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a
> laptop that is very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin
> and having the vol cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been
> able to get comfortable with G3, so my question is has anyone figured
> out how to get this overboosted volume on another DE spin?
>
> Thanks

OK, I had to be the first to say it. Gnome 3 is better because the
volume goes to 11.

--
-- Steve

Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM, patrick korsnick <korsnick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values higher
> than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a laptop that is
> very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin and having the vol
> cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been able to get comfortable
> with G3, so my question is has anyone figured out how to get this
> overboosted volume on another DE spin?

My laptop's speakers are also rather terrible, so I ended up writing a
tiny daemon that accepts DBus commands triggered by keyboard shortcuts
(configured via KDE's awesome Custom Shortcuts control panel) to
adjust the volume as high as PulseAudio will allow.

I could clean it up and share it if you're interested.

-T.C.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 AM

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 02:53:20PM -0600, patrick korsnick wrote:
> On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values higher
> than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a laptop that is
> very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin and having the vol
> cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been able to get comfortable
> with G3, so my question is has anyone figured out how to get this
> overboosted volume on another DE spin?
>
> Thanks

Reminds me of that scene in Spinal Tap, where the guitarist sets his amp to
'11.' Lol!

Terry

Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Ian Malone

On 10 May 2012 22:37, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/2012 03:53 PM, patrick korsnick wrote:
>> On the Desktop (Gnome) spin the volume control allows setting values
>> higher than 100%. The KDE and Xfce spins don't allow this. I have a
>> laptop that is very hard to hear audio on unless using the Gnome spin
>> and having the vol cranked up to 150% or so. But I haven't really been
>> able to get comfortable with G3, so my question is has anyone figured
>> out how to get this overboosted volume on another DE spin?
>>

> OK, I had to be the first to say it. *Gnome 3 is better because the
> volume goes to 11.

Or 15.

But for the OP, couldn't you just make 11 louder? Actually, it's a
serious question, because it might be that your card's mixer isn't
correctly handled in ALSA (I had this problem with early Pulseaudio).
Might be worth getting onto the alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net list
and asking about it.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 15:24 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> But for the OP, couldn't you just make 11 louder? Actually, it's a
> serious question, because it might be that your card's mixer isn't
> correctly handled in ALSA (I had this problem with early Pulseaudio).
> Might be worth getting onto the alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net list
> and asking about it.

The greater-than 100% volumes allow digital amplification (the computer
processing the sound), to deal with under-recorded audio (too quiet).
Not something that you'd, normally, want to do.

Normally, sound card mixers give you 0% to 100% control of the audio
going in, so that something like a wave file with a recording at the
absolute maximum level it can be recorded at, will play at the maximum
level that the audio hardware can re-produce. If you tried to boost its
audio above 100%, you'd get shocking distortion.

It's better that such boosting be done as a deliberate over-range
adjustment, as and when needed (to cope with poor recordings). Rather
than let the volume controls go above 100 without warning. I've
certainly had my ears hurt when turning up the volume too far, without
any hint, and then played a normal sound file.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.