Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Chris Kottaridis

Default laptop external video

My son just upgraded his laptop and I inherited his old one.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1501.

I have Fedora Core 8 on it.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to send video out the
video port in the back.

When he had Windows on it you could toggle <ctrl>F8 to get it to show on
the internal screen only, both the internal screen and the external
screen and just the external screen.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get anything to come out of the
external video in FC8 yet.

Any pointers ?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Konstantin Svist

Chris Kottaridis wrote:

My son just upgraded his laptop and I inherited his old one.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1501.

I have Fedora Core 8 on it.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to send video out the
video port in the back.

When he had Windows on it you could toggle <ctrl>F8 to get it to show on
the internal screen only, both the internal screen and the external
screen and just the external screen.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get anything to come out of the
external video in FC8 yet.

Any pointers ?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

I have the same model. Mine was configured with an ATI card, how about
yours?
If it's ATI, you can install kmod-fglrx from livna repo and the external
monitor should start working.

Not sure how to do it with other video cards and/or drivers..

Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 16:43 -0600, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> When he had Windows on it you could toggle <ctrl>F8 to get it to show
> on the internal screen only, both the internal screen and the external
> screen and just the external screen.

Are you doing the right keys? It's usually "Fn" and "F8" for that sort
of thing.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 AM
max

Tim wrote:

When he had Windows on it you could toggle <ctrl>F8 to get it to show
on the internal screen only, both the internal screen and the external
screen and just the external screen.

Are you doing the right keys? It's usually "Fn" and "F8" for that sort
of thing.

You could also try booting the laptop with the external monitor
connected but "Fn" + "F8" already suggested by OP should do it.

Max